KidsCare program would provide inexpensive healthcare for children in need

All children deserve to have affordable health insurance.

US NEWS MED-HANDTRANSPLANT 6 BZ
Photo illustration

I remember getting food poisoning for the first time as if it were yesterday. Being in fifth grade, I thought I was dying. When I didn’t get any better after a few days, my mom took me to the doctor. The medicine they gave me started working immediately. The food poisoning started to subside, and I was able to go back to school shortly after my doctor visit. I didn’t want to think about how long I would’ve had to endure that virus without that medicine. I was lucky — my parents could afford to take me to the doctor because of our insurance. However, for many children in Arizona, they have to suffer through their symptoms.

Although there is Medicaid to help supply health care, there are many families who just barely miss the requirements to be eligible for the program. Even though these families make enough to not need Medicaid, they still do not make enough to afford regular health insurance plans for their families. The KidsCare program would allow 30,000 children to have inexpensive healthcare based on how much their family makes. This would greatly help the 10 percent of uninsured children in our state. Three in five people who are uninsured avoid getting treatment to save money. This means longer recovery times, and for kids, that means missing school. These children are at a great disadvantage and KidsCare could help them. A great feature of the program is that it wouldn’t cost the state any money initially, the federal government would fund the bill until 2017. There is even the possibility that the bill could be funded to 2019.

The Arizona Senate President Andy Biggs said he won’t allow the bill to even come to a vote, even though it passed the House in a landslide vote. Biggs’s reasoning behind freezing the bill remains unclear but one thing is for certain: This bill needs to be passed.

These kids deserve the same luxuries that many residents have. Families shouldn’t have to wait out their child’s illness and hope that they get better, every child should be able to receive affordable treatment. I believe that every kid has the opportunity to achieve their full potential. However, denying kids basic needs damages their chances of reaching their goals.

These kids deserve the ability to receive inexpensive treatment and not miss school because of sickness. Their families also shouldn't feel that they are drowning in insanely expensive hospital bills. I encourage you to email Biggs by submitting this form and also by contacting your local legislator. Tell them to push this bill through. It is time to give these kids the care they need. 

Related links:

Transgender health coverage a necessary change for progress of equality

Sun Devil Sound Off: Healthcare

Reach the columnist at rachel.eroh@asu.edy or follow @ErohRachel on Twitter.

×