ASU’s heart weighed cold and heavy last week when the tragic news was broken — the Memorial Union Taco Bell is closing its doors for good.

When this sort of tragedy strikes, the best way to heal the ache in your heart is by filling the void as quickly as possible. Forget the love that left you, because it’s time for a rebound.

Here are six restaurants near campus to fill the taco-shaped hole in your heart.

via GIPHY

Tempe:

Fuzzy’s Taco Shop

Right on Mill Avenue, Fuzzy’s offers a plethora of crispy and soft tacos boasting everything from tempura shrimp to brisket.

Started by a father-and-son duo in Fort Worth, Texas, Fuzzy’s expanded its desert fan base to Arizona, and it has been a staple ever since.

El Paisano Market

Right on Lemon Street, this small market claims itself as “Arizona’s best Mexican.” That might be a big statement, but the popularity of El Paisano’s tacos and other dishes — despite the fact that they're made in a tiny kitchen tucked in the back of a small marketplace — should speak for itself.

It may be a bit of a hunt, but the food will be worth it.

Los Favoritos Taco Shop

Los Favs,” as it’s known by locals, is an authentic Mexican eatery on Broadway Road. As the name would suggest, the restaurant is a favorite among ASU students and offers a variety of excellent dishes.

Although we’re here to discuss the tacos, I’d trust the Mexican food at any restaurant that offers the OG of Latin cuisine — tamales. Regardless of what you choose to order, you’ll be in good hands at Los Favs.

A photo posted by Robert Joyce (@no.34robjoy) on

Downtown:

Taqueria Los Yaquis

On Camelback Road and Seventh Street, Taqueria Los Yaquis is the hidden gem of Mexican food. Oddly enough, this taco shack is tucked in a window at Charlie’s Phoenix, a country-themed gay nightclub.

If the bubbling nightclub atmosphere is not for you, fear not, the taqueria also serves to a patio outside the same window, and the tacos are as authentic and cheap as they come. Fitting for a taco shop in a nightclub, Los Yaquis has late hours — usually open from 9 p.m. to 3 or 4:30 a.m. on the weekends.

Taco Guild: Gastropub 

Taco Guild is an odd little converted church building on Seventh Street and Osborn Road, and the food is as unusual as the setting.

The tacos here are for the upper-crust taco consumer. They offer fancier fare and unique options like coffee-braised pork, duck and lamb tacos. This restaurant is an excellent option for more adventurous diners.

Los Altos Ranch Market

Five minutes down Roosevelt,  Los Altos is a large-scale Mexican market with a wide array of offerings. From pan dulce to aquas frescas, Los Altos has it all.

While the market offers all the necessary components to make your own authentic Mexican dish, you can also order a plate of tacos ready to eat at long banquet tables right in the market. Convenient.

Related links:

A 'brunch' of restaurants to check out on Sunday morning

Best of ASU

Reach the assistant arts editor at icastil3@asu.edu or follow @isabella_m_cast on Twitter

×