ASU to jam downtown at Blaze Kick Ass Spring Concert

The annual Kick Ass Spring Concert will take place on Thursday, April 6, 2017 at The Trunk Space in Downtown Phoenix, Arizona. 

As finals week approaches, anxiety and stress become the daily bread of almost every student at this time of the semester. To many, the three weeks left to close off the semester seem like years, and students are already burnt out. Everyone just needs a break of some sort — and ASU's Blaze Radio Station has just the thing for you. 

On Thursday, students from all campuses are invited to jam in downtown Phoenix with both professional and student bands alike.  

ASU's college radio station hopes to get students geared for finals week through its annual event — the Kick Ass Spring Concert.

Amanda Luberto, Blaze music director and journalism junior, said the concert will be great exposure for students to discover and connect to local music.

“The Kick Ass Spring Concert is an opportunity for students to be more involved in the local scene,” Luberto said. “It is an annual tradition that Blaze radio has held over the past years, and every year it gets bigger.”

The station is largely focused on empowering local musicians and local restaurants. In the past they have done so through other events such as the annual College Radio Day as well as its Live and Local music festival charity concert and drive.

Sydney Glenn, Blaze station manager and journalism senior, said students can look forward to a fun filled night through live local music, corn dog samples and other local specialties.

“ASU students can also come and support the Moose Titans, an ASU student band that will be throwing their first performance at the pre-patio party,” Glenn said.

She also said she was hoping that ASU students can turn out in large numbers and bond with the downtown community.

“It's gonna be a great night as we celebrate local — local band, local food, local radio station with local people,” Glenn said. 

This year’s spring concert will also feature live performances from other bands that include People Who Could Fly, Flight of Ryan and IAMWE.

People Who Could Fly guitarist Fletcher Milloy said the group considers it as a huge honor to be chosen as one the bands in the 2016 lineup.

“We love ASU, we love Blaze radio, and we are thrilled to see people getting excited about local music,” Milloy said.

ASU students are also fired up for tomorrow’s concert.

Biochemistry freshman Diana Okeyo said she has never attended any previous Kick Ass Spring Concerts. 

“However, as an international student, I feel that the concert gives me a chance to bond with the local community and connect to it,” she said.

Attendees will pay $5 to attend the concert, but the first one hundred people will get in for free.

The show will take place April 14 at 6 p.m. at Last Exit Live.

Related links:

ASU radio station hosts 'Live and Local' charity concert in downtown Phoenix

Meeting with the Post Master

Reach the arts reporter at smareker@asu.edu or follow @shantie_chido on Twitter.

×