From Palm Walk to Ancient Rome, here are the week's top State Press stories

Miss anything? We have you covered.

Palm Walk
Students walk on Palm Walk on the first day of classes on Thursday, Aug. 20, 2015, in Tempe.

We're in the home stretch; summer break is so close so don't give up yet. Before you lock yourself in Hayden and force yourself to study, take a moment to brush up on the week's top stories.

W. P. Carey has nearly Ivy League acceptance rates after redesign, MBA scholarship

Photo by Jordan Neel | The State Press

As a result of the influx of applicants for the next academic year, the W.P. Carey School of Business MBA program has become more competitive than top-tier business schools around the country.  More than 1,000 have applied for the 120 available seats. Reporter Angelica Cabral explains what factors have lead to the decreasing acceptance rate and how it will affect the University.

Read more: ASU dean directs W. P. Carey school with female-led administration

The end of an era: replanting famous Palm Walk

Photo by Stella Atzenweiler | The State Press

ASU's most iconic spot on campus is turning 100 years old this year. The trees are nearing the end of their life spans and will be replanted. Reporter Aashini Choksi learned more about the history behind Palm Walk and how exactly landscaping crews will go about replanting the trees.

Read more: The life and times of ASU Tempe's tallest attraction

ASU fraternity supports brother facing degenerative brain disease

Photo courtesy of Brittany Londer

Members of the Sigma Alpha Mu fraternity have started a GoFundMe page to help raise funds to treat one of their brothers, Brandon Londer, who has been diagnosed with an extremely rare degenerative brain disease. The fraternity is also volunteering to help others who have been diagnosed. Reporter Alexis Egeland spoke to the fraternity and learned more about their efforts to help Londer.

Read more: ASU partners with Mayo Clinic to combat Alzheimer’s, other issues facing medical industry

ASU parties on: Twitter personas seek to resurrect the late-night scene

Photo by Jacob Goldstein | The State Press

Through the acquisition of research funding and national recognition, ASU has slowly chipped away at the idea of it being a "party school," significantly changing the way the University is perceived by the public. Depending on who you speak to, its efforts have succeeded, but there is a network of student DJs who are keeping the party scene alive. Reporter Jacob Goldstein learned more about the group and explains the structure that is the new party scene around Tempe.

Read more: ShadeZ and DJ AmBeat work like student athletes, perform like it's a party

Stories we think you'll love:

ASU rugby season of transition, difficulty nears an end with final weekend of play

Photo by Ellen O'Brien | The State Press

ASU rugby's season will end Saturday after the team competes against the Mexican National Team in the Fiesta Bowl Rugby and Balloon Classic. As reporter Haley Stesiak reports, the team has not had the season it had hoped for, but remains optimistic for next season.

Read more: ASU rugby battles, but can't pull off the win against Arizona

Gems off the light rail: A hipster-dining duo

Photo by Johanna Huckeba | The State Press

In her weekly series, reporter Nicole Dusanek gets off of the light rail at a different stop each week and searches for the most unique businesses. This week, Dusanek reviewed the Phoenix Italian restaurant Pane Bianco and explained what makes it a one-of-a-kind Italian joint.

Read more: Gems off the light rail: making and baking memories at Smith-o-lator

Polytechnic students combine computers, desks to reinvent workspace

Photo courtesy of M33 Labs

Thanks to the efforts of one ASU student-run company, the desktop computer may literally be an interactive desk. The group calls the project "Space" and says it could become an all-in-one solution to declutter offices around the world. Reporter David Caltabiano learned more about the concept product and the process the team is going through in order to make it a reality.

Read more: Innovative students at ASU create new app

5 reasons why ASU is actually the modern incarnation of Ancient Rome

Photo illustration by Kelcie Grega | The State Press

As you may know, ASU was voted the most innovative college in the U.S. This got columnist Kelcie Grega thinking about other things ASU should be considered for. Grega had a little fun and came up with five reasons why ASU would be number one on a list of colleges most likely to be the modern incarnation of Ancient Rome.

Read more: ASU first to receive 'Most Innovative School' award

Reach the reporter at anicla@asu.edu or follow @AndrewNiclaASU on Twitter

×