ASU baseball crush Wildcats to win series tie-breaker

ASU baseball put up four runs in one inning to finish off its series against Arizona.

CAPTION1 during a game against UA on Sunday, May 15, 2016, at Hi Corbett Field in Tucson. The Sun Devils defeated the Wildcats 5-1.

ASU baseball finished its road series against the Arizona Wildcats on an dominate note Sunday afternoon, crushing the in-state rival 5-1 in a tie-breaking game.

Much like the second game of the series, both teams struggled to gain any momentum during the beginning of the game. Although the two rivals combined for five hits until the fifth inning, they each usually came at the bottom of the inning with an out or two already pinned for the team.

It wasn't until the top of the sixth inning that the Sun Devils broke the scoring drought.

Junior Colby Woodmansee took a single that led to a double play for the Wildcats, in which the team got Woodmansee and junior David Greer out. Meanwhile, that play led ASU freshman Gage Canning to score the first run for the Sun Devils.

One inning later, the Sun Devils laid it on the Wildcats, getting five hits and four runs in one inning.

The Sun Devils scored these runs by continuing to get on base time and time again, ultimately putting Arizona in a tough position.

Senior Jordan Aboites, junior Eder Erives, sophomore Andrew Snow and Canning all scored in this inning, which made a potential win for the Wildcats far less likely.

Arizona eventually took a run in the eighth inning, but by that time, the Sun Devils had pulled away too much for the Wildcats to catch up — out-hitting their in-state rival 12 to 4.

The Sun Devils will continue their road trip this week as they head to California to face San Diego on Wednesday, May 18 at 6 pm.

Reach the reporter at osoussi@asu.edu or follow @omarksoussi on Twitter.

×