ASU baseball puts up 12 runs in a blowout win over UCLA

ASU put up six runs in one inning to put the game out of reach

ASU baseball center-fielder Andrew Shaps bats during a game against the University of Washington Huskies at Phoenix Municipal Stadium in Phoenix, Arizona, on Sunday, April 10, 2016.

In baseball, four runs is usually enough to stay either within a game or in some cases win a game. However, that wasn't the case when ASU blew UCLA out of the water, winning 12-4.

The game started very close, as both teams were able to keep pace with each other, trading runs and hits all the way until the top of the seventh inning, when ASU led 4-3.

During this inning, the Sun Devils took control of the game, putting up five hits and six runs.

The first runs of that inning came with bases loaded and freshman Gage Canning continuing to perform well this season, getting a hit that resulted in three R.B.I.

The team didn't stop their scoring spree there. Junior Colby Woodmansee got a hit that resulted in a R.B.I. for Canning and on the very next play, sophomore Andrew Shaps got himself a hit as well which brought home Woodmansee and junior David Greer.

The game was practically over following that inning, and the Sun Devils at the top of the ninth added two more runs. Although the fourth inning run drought on UCLA was ended as they got one run in the bottom of the ninth, it was too little, too late.

With this win, the Sun Devils go 32-18 in third place of the Pac-12, and the Bruins go 24-27 and right next to the bottom of the standings. The two rivals will face off again Saturday, May 21 and Sunday, May 22.

Reach the reporter at osoussi@asu.edu or follow @omarksoussi on Twitter.

×