ASU suffers narrow loss to Oregon State in second straight game

The Sun Devils rallied late, but earned a series loss in Corvallis.

Sophomore pitcher Dale Ryndak pitches during a game against Portland State at Alberta B. Farrington Softball Stadium in Tempe, Arizona, on Sunday, Feb. 14, 2016. The Sun Devils won the game, 7-1.

Sun Devil softball was toppled by a 1-0 walk-off on Thursday in Corvallis, Oregon, but their Friday night matchup was almost just as close.

ASU (30-24, 6-17 Pac-12) trailed the Oregon State Beavers (30-18-1, 9-14 Pac-12) for nearly the entire game on Friday, and a comeback effort in the sixth inning fell just short. The Beavers won, 4-3.

The Beavers’ senior right-hander Bev Miller (13-10) was tasked with facing the Sun Devil lineup, finishing the day with three runs on seven hits and earning the win.

Miller found run support early as the Beavers charged Sun Devil sophomore pitcher Dale Ryndak (8-6) with three runs in the first inning. Natalie Hampton, Alysha Everett and Mikela Manewa all collected RBIs in that first frame.

Oregon State led 3-0.

In the third, the Sun Devils’ senior outfielder Jennifer Soria tripled to lead off the inning, and would later score on a single from senior second baseman Nikki Girard. It was 3-1 OSU.

OSU answered right back with a solo home run in the fourth by Kayleen Shafer, her fifth of the season.

In the sixth, the Sun Devils started a rally. Sophomore Nichole Chilson singled with one out, and pinch-hitter Fa Leilua walked to put two on. A single by Soria would bring Chilson home, and Leilua later scored on a wild pitch to make it 4-3.

That’s all the Sun Devils would get.

Freshman Meehra Nelson got the save for the Beavers in an innings’ work, while ASU junior Kelsey Kessler pitched three frames of relief and earned a no-decision.

The Sun Devils will play the series finale on Saturday in Corvallis at 12 p.m.

Reach the reporter at matt.layman@asu.edu or follow @Mattjlayman on Twitter.

×