ASU baseball drops first game of Fort Worth regional to Gonzaga

The Sun Devils are now one loss away from elimination.

ASU baseball's Eli Lingos pitches during a game against California at Phoenix Municipal Stadium in Phoenix, Arizona, on Saturday, April 16, 2016.

In the opening round of the Fort Worth regional, No. 22 ASU baseball fell 5-1 to Gonzaga on Friday.

Junior right-handed pitcher Seth Martinez started on the mound for the Sun Devils (0-1), giving up nine hits and a season-worst five earned runs before being relieved in the third inning by freshman lefty Connor Higgins.

Higgins pitched seven times and surrendered a walk before being pulled in favor of another left-handed reliever: Sophomore Eli Lingos. In six and one-third innings pitched, Lingos surrendered only one hit and one walk in an excellent performance where he struck out four.

The Bulldogs (1-0) got out to an early lead thanks in large part to the bat of senior first baseman Taylor Jones, who drove in two runs on an RBI double in the first inning and RBI single in the second.

An error by ASU junior shortstop Colby Woodmansee also allowed a run to score on the first, while Gonzaga's fifth run off of Martinez was scored on an RBI double by redshirt sophomore Nick Brooks — the designated hitter for the Bulldogs. 

The Sun Devils trailed 5-0 through three innings before notching their first and only run of the day in the fourth on a fielder's choice that brought sophomore center fielder Andrew Shaps home from third.

Junior right-handed pitcher Brandon Bailey starred on the mound for Gonzaga, tossing 125 pitches in seven innings while only allowing five hits and one earned run. His performance made the difference for the Bulldogs despite a stellar outing from Lingos on the other side.

ASU now moves into the losers bracket in Fort Worth, where it awaits the loser of the TCU vs. Oral Roberts matchup that is scheduled for 4:30 p.m. Friday. The Sun Devils will play in the early game on Saturday, and the time has yet to be announced.

Reach the reporter at rclarke6@asu.edu or follow @RyanTClarke on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×