8 ASU track and field members earn All-American honors

Senior Ben Trotter makes a successful attempt in long jump competition for ASU track and field at the 2016 Baldy Castillo Invitational at Sun Angel Stadium in Tempe, AZ on Saturday, March 19, 2016.

ASU track and field went to the NCAA outdoor championship over the weekend and merited more individual than collective success in the team's rankings.

Although the team didn't have a great performance in the rankings as a whole, ending in 46th place for women's and 36th for men's, the team also saw a lot of individual success as eight of its 11 competitors earned All-American honors.

These would include graduate transfer Reggie Lewis (4x100 relay, first team), redshirt senior Isaiah Underwood (4x100), senior Ben Trotter (4x100), Jamol James (4x100), junior Keyasia Tibbs (second team, triple jump), redshirt junior Tim White (first team, triple jump), redshirt sophomore Maggie Ewen (first team, Discus and Hammer Throw) and freshman Brandon Hasson (4x100).

For most of these competitors, this was their first All-American they've earned.

For White, this was after he spent a good portion of the outdoor season with ASU spring football.

White was 3.5 inches away from the U.S. qualifying standard to enter the Olympics but he will get a chance to compete at the Olympic Trials which will be on July 1.

ASU head coach Greg Kraft said in a statement that he is proud of what White did for the team.

"What Tim has accomplished this outdoor season is nothing short of amazing," Kraft said in the statement. "He was in spring football for basically the entire outdoor season. He was only able to get three full-run triple jumps in at the Pac-12 Championships, where he finished second. Tim then gets two weeks of practice in before winning the West Regional. Then he gets another two weeks of practice before finishing fourth in the country."

Ewen also performed well, and she took fifth in the women's hammer throw for her first All-American of weekend. On Saturday, she also took eighth in the Discus to snatch her second All-American honors.

Each of the Sun Devils who earned All-American other than Tibbs were in the top ten in their event and Tibbs was no. 14, performing well against those they faced.

However, the whole team struggled, because they didn't have the numbers to go up against some of the other schools who sent 20 to 30 athletes to the NCAA championship. Although the team posted some great performances, not all of the eleven competitors made it out of the qualifying round.

While it seems like a tough end to a good season, the team has plenty of talent to work with in the next two to three years, including Ewen, White, Tibbs and more.

Reach the reporter at osoussi@asu.edu or follow @omarksoussi on Twitter.

×