ASU football's Topps placed on scholarship

The redshirt senior former walk-on is the lone Sun Devil to be honored.

Redshirt junior defensive lineman Tramel Topps (92) celebrates with teammate Redshirt senior Demetrius Cherry (94) after the game against UCLA on Saturday, Oct. 3, 2015, at Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California. The Sun Devils defeated the Bruins 38-23.

Since head coach Todd Graham took control of the ASU football team in 2012, he has honored at least one walk-on with a scholarship during the preseason — rewarding those that have worked hard to be a part of his program.

Monday afternoon, redshirt senior defensive lineman Tramel Topps tweeted that he had earned a scholarship for his final year of eligibility with the Sun Devils.

On Tuesday, Graham confirmed that Topps had been put on scholarship during his media availability, citing the defensive lineman's work ethic and leadership in the locker room.

"He's just a guy that epitomizes what we're about," Graham said. "A guy who's sacrificed and worked his tail off. It meant so much for him to be a Sun Devil."

Topps appeared in just two games with ASU last season on special teams. In addition to the off-the-field intangibles, Graham said Topps played for the scholarship in ASU's in-stadium scrimmage Saturday morning.

"He really performed well, probably had his best scrimmage," Graham said. "You've got to earn it on the field. No matter how much you do, you have to earn it on the field as well. He did that."

Past walk-ons awarded with scholarships under Graham have been former safety Jordan Simone, junior running back Jacom Brimhall and junior long snapper Mitchell Fraboni.

Topps was not made available to the media for comment.

Additional Notes:

-Graham said captains have not been named and the team will go week-to-week for game captains. "You've got to earn it every week."

-Redshirt sophomore defensive back Armand Perry had his best practice of the fall on Tuesday, according to Graham.

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

×