Demario Richard reveals "secret weapon" for ASU football

A third Sun Devil could have a major impact out of the backfield.

CampTDay3-Ralston

With the dynamic duo of junior running backs Demario Richard and Kalen Ballage, the ASU football team is expected to lead an offense in transition. With uncertainty clouding the rest of the offense, the lone constant from a year ago are the two third-year runners who are expected to take another step forward.

The powerful backs combined to rush for 1,757 yards and 11 touchdowns despite missing a combined four games last season. ASU went 2-2 in the games that did not feature both backs, but those two victories were against less-than-stellar competition in New Mexico and Cal Poly.

According to Richard, there's a concerted effort by running backs coach John Simon to keep Richard and Ballage on the field for the full season.

"(The coaching staff is) doing a great job of keeping us fresh," Richard said. "They're making sure we're on top of all our stuff and doing our indy periods and route running."

Part of that plan, according to Richard, is something outsiders may not have expected.

"We've got a little secret weapon for everybody," Richard said with a grin.

When pushed, Richard quickly gave up that secret.

"The secret weapon? That's Nick Ralston."

In his junior and senior years at Argyle High School in Texas, Ralston was a workhorse, rushing for 4,499 yards and 72 touchdowns. In his final game at Argyle, he nearly carried his team to a state title, carrying the ball 54 times in a double-overtime loss.

At first, Ralston was recruited to play linebacker. He was quickly switched back to his original position. As a freshman, he appeared in four games, but his only gathered statistic was a four-yard kick return. A past medical redshirt gives Ralston the distinction of redshirt freshman in 2016.

Richard had high praise for his backfield mate, calling Ralston a mixture of him and Ballage and saying he's excited to see what Ralston can do as a part of the rotation.

"(He has) everything that you see in me and Kalen, he just has a little more bulk to him," Richard said. "Very explosive, great vision, very patient... I'm excited to see it. 

"I've been seeing him run all fall camp and I'm very impressed and ready for him to be out on the big screen and show everybody what he can do."

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

×