Finding the beat: Five live music venues around ASU

Local band Luxxe performs at the Crescent Ballroom in Phoenix on Thursday, Aug. 18, 2016. The popular music venue is just a couple blocks away from the Downtown Phoenix campus.

Living in and around a college town, students are bombarded with entertainment outlets — movies, sporting events, art gallery openings and more. While each student is unique, one common ground bonds them all: music.

Whether it is a low-key coffee house event or a crowded, head-banging concert, Tempe and downtown Phoenix are riddled with live music venues. Here are five places around the ASU campuses to catch your next show:

The Crescent Ballroom

308 N. 2nd Ave. Phoenix, AZ 85003

Lauren Underwood, a bartender at the venue, said their eclectic mix of performers spans across genres and cultures. 

“We’re all over the board," she said. "We’ve had Modest Mouse, Phantogram, Santigold and we have little local bands.  On Saturdays, we have flamenco dancing.”

The vast variety of musical options and the chance to hear live music seven days a week is what draws large crowds to The Crescent Ballroom. 

“It gets extremely crowded," Underwood said with a laugh. "So crowded, we’re building an upper level patio right now so we can have more capacity."

Because of the popularity of The Crescent Ballroom, taking public transportation to this venue is highly recommended. It is a short walk from the Van Buren light rail station, but there is $5 parking available nearby.

Interested in checking out an upcoming show?  Listen to some artists coming to the Crescent here:

Alice Cooper’stown

101 E. Jackson St. Phoenix, AZ 85004

#TheSethLoveLessBand Played Some Killer Sets Tonight!!! They Will be Back At CoopersTown Soon!!! #NotToBeMissed

A photo posted by Alice Cooperstown (@alicecooperstown) on

For those with a wild side, Alice Cooper’stown is the perfect place. It was created and is owned by Phoenix transplant and rock legend Alice Cooper. With elements of his signature gothic and vaudeville style dispersed throughout the restaurant / live music venue, it is definitely not the place for the faint of heart. Showcasing music similar to his own, Alice Cooper’stown is the go-to place for ASU students who aren’t afraid to rock.

Patron Michelle McCauley, a parent of an ASU student, said she recommends this venue to students looking for a way to kick back. 

“I liked it," McCauley said. "It was very casual. I think students would really like the bands.”

Fans of the grunge, rock-n-roll scene are in luck, because Alice Cooper’stown is located near Chase Field in downtown Phoenix, which is easily accessible by all modes of transportation, including the light rail.

The Celebrity Theatre

440 N. 32nd St. Phoenix, AZ 85008

Like The Crescent Ballroom, The Celebrity Theatre claims to offer a musical experience that transcends decades, genres and cultures. From rock to gospel to The Beatles tribute bands to the Latin group Los Temerarios, everyone is sure to find something they like.

This historic landmark likes to stay true to its roots, so intermixed with current acts are older ones that will remind millennials of their parents' generation. The mix of nostalgia-inducing performers and fresh faces makes this a great venue for just about everyone.

Below is a sample of songs one might hear at The Celebrity Theatre.

The Culinary Dropout

149 S. Farmer Ave. Tempe, AZ 85281

The Culinary Dropout is known not only for its drool-inducing food, but also for its live music. The venue not only embraces the misfit culture that millennials have come to love, but channels it into the atmosphere, food and music.

Although a lot of the artists that come through are local or have not hit it big yet, it's important for the community to support its local music scene.

The Culinary Dropout is located a few streets over from Mill Avenue in Tempe and is a great place for ASU students to chill out and listen to music in a casual, comfortable setting.

Tempe Marketplace

2000 E. Rio Salado Pkwy. Tempe, AZ 85281

Emilie Andrews is the senior marketing director of the marketing firm associated with Tempe Marketplace. She said the weekends are full of options for concert-goers.

"We offer free live music every Friday and Saturday night from great local bands on our district stage," she said.

Most of the shows feature local bands which draw crowds of 100 to 200 people. However, larger groups do come out and perform. 

"We also partner with radio stations to bring big national acts for concert series," Andrews said.

Tempe Marketplace has music from just about every genre on display during their weekend events. Students looking for mellowed out but fun concerts should make attending a show at Tempe Marketplace a priority.

Sample songs from the upcoming acts here:

Reach the reporter at kzgaskin@asu.edu or follow @kiya_gaskin on Twitter.

×