Jared du Toit scores spot in top 10 during his Canadian Open debut

Du Toit finished with a tie for ninth in his first PGA Tour event.

ASU senior Jared du Toit tees off from the 17th tee box during the second round of Saturday play during the ASU Thunderbird Invitational at Karsten Golf Course in Tempe, Arizona on Saturday, April 2, 2016.

This summer was no vacation for one ASU men's golfer, who made an eagle with a final putt spanning 40 feet, which landed him in the final grouping in his first-ever PGA Tour event.

Senior Jared du Toit did exactly that on July 23 during the RBC Canadian Open. The British Columbia native was attempting to be the first resident north of the U.S. border to take home the title in 62 years.

"There was probably about a thousand Canadians around that first hole. Before they even announced his name, when they saw him walking to the tee, he basically got a standing ovation," said Tim Mickelson, former ASU men's golf coach. "On that day, on that tee box, he was probably the most well-known Canadian athlete in the country."

Du Toit capped off the tournament tied for ninth-place finish, placing higher than his favorite golfer on tour, Jason Day, who finished with a tie for fourteenth. 

"It was a boost for my confidence," du Toit said. "Getting out there and contending with some of the best in the world, looking at them eye-to-eye and trying to beat them was massive."

According to Mickelson, du Toit is the ninth amateur in the last five years to finish a tour event in the top 10.

"What that tournament should have done was absolutely validate anything in his mind as to whether he was good enough to compete at the next level," Mickelson said.

With du Toit heading into his final year for ASU men's golf and dealing with a head coaching change, no one could blame him for seeking a pro-career in a few months. 

"He's extremely confident and has a belief in his ability, but he's not arrogant," Derek Ingram, Canadian National men's team coach, said. "He won't allow the progress he's made to interrupt how hard he is planning on working." 

Some of that work will start Sept. 16 when du Toit and the Sun Devils head to their first tournament of the season in Chicago for the Fighting Illini Invitational.

"We lost a couple of key guys last year. So it's going to be up to a couple of freshmen, couple of returning guys — and a new transfer as well — to carry more weight this year," du Toit said. "It's going to be challenging, but there is opportunity for guys to step up."

One challenge that du Toit and his teammates have faced thus far is the coaching change. New head coach Matt Thurmond was hired on July 25. Thurmond previously coached at University of Washington.

"I had a lot of friends on the University of Washington team and everyone I talked to said they absolutely loved coach and his philosophies," du Toit said.

According to du Toit, the long-term goal is professional golf, and a majority of this year will be focused on obtaining that. 

Whether it's playing on the Canadian Tour, or possibly even the Latin American Tour, du Toit acknowledges that the opportunities are endless.

"It's easy to let your guard down and get a little bit lazy or read your own press clippings and not really work like you have," coach Ingram said. "His habits are world-class in terms of how hard he works, how hard he prepares and how open he is to coaching. I think that is something that is pretty special."

Reach the reporter at thandlan@asu.edu or follow @Tyler_Handlan on Twitter.

×