ASU soccer cruises past Columbia

Three goals from three different players showed the Sun Devils' versatility.

Aly Moon vs. Columbia

Junior forward Aly Moon takes a shot in the 3-0 win versus Columbia University at Sun Devil Soccer Stadium in Tempe, Arizona on Friday, September 2, 2016. Arizona State is now 3-0-1 in the early goings of the season.

ASU soccer took on Columbia University Friday afternoon and showcased impressive strength on the front line.

The Sun Devils (3-0-1) dominated the Lions (1-2) and head coach Kevin Boyd noted that his team is getting better at keeping possession, but there is still room for improvement.

“I thought the first and second half was significantly better as a whole,” Boyd said. “We sometimes get choppy with the ball and give it away.”

Senior forward Larisa Staub made her first appearance of the season after a minor injury and family wedding kept her out of the first couple weeks of play.

“It felt amazing,” Staub said. “I’ve been so excited to get on the pitch and help my team out.”

Staub made her presence known quickly after being subbed into the first half. The first goal came from her in the 34th minute off an amazing effort.

Lions sophomore goalkeeper Sophie Whitehouse came off her line  to try and stop a shot by sophomore forward Jamie Salas. She managed to get the shot off as the ball passed Whitehouse and headed for goal. A Columbia defender raced to the goal line, where Staub met her with a sliding tackle to ensure her first goal of the season.

“She would have knocked it out so I knew I had to put my whole body into this or it wasn’t going in,” Staub said.

Junior defender Madison Kmetko scored her first career goal in the 43rd minute off a corner kick that was launched into the 6-yard box by sophomore midfielder Adriana Orozco. Kmetko leaped above a scrum of players inside the box to win the header and score.

At the half, ASU took 12 shots with six being on goal, while Columbia only recorded three shots with two being on goal.

The Sun Devils came out of the gates hungry for more after halftime.

In the 46th minute Junior forward Jazmarie Mader scored her third goal of the season. An open shot on top of the box put the Sun Devils up 3-0.

“There is no where to go but up,” Mader said.

Boyd was happy with Mader’s goal after making crucial adjustments at halftime with her positioning.

“She got herself in great position and the goal she scored was outstanding, a nice little finesse finish that popped in over the goalkeeper,” Boyd said.

Mader touched on the fact that on any given game day someone new can step up and score, making her life both easier and tougher.

“It’s an amazing feeling, but also terrifying because you always have to be on your best game,” Mader said. “There are people that are just as good as you and working just as hard trying to take your spot.”

The Sun Devils managed a 3-0 in front of their home fans, with another home bout scheduled for 7 p.m. Sunday against Denver.

“I think this is our most complete game in terms of how we played and hopefully we will just keep it going,” Boyd said.

Reach the reporter at kcvalen1@asu.edu or follow @kvalenzuela17 on Twitter.

×