Local band Pro Teens to 'Accidentally' kick off tour with upcoming house party

Pro Teens will tour the East Coast in support of their second full-length album "Accidentally."

Local band Pro Teens is launching a national tour this Wednesday, Sept. 28, 2016. 

Phoenix-based alt-pop band Pro Teens is set to kick off its biggest tour yet this upcoming Wednesday in support of their recently released second full-length album, “Accidentally.”

Described by its lead singer, Andy Phipps, as “surf Michael Jackson” and a Noisey article as having “a beautiful punk sound that goes heavy on the Elvis Costello vibe,” the tour will start with a house show in Tempe before heading to the yet unconquered East Coast.

Lead singer Andy Phipps said the tour would be a “glorified vacation” before the band returns to record a new album.

“I've never been to the East Coast before in my life,” he said. “I don’t think the tour necessarily means anything for us, but it could help us get future contacts, meet new people and see new things. But when we get back, we’re just going to record another album.”

"Accidentally” was released in July and features a visually jarring album cover of a submerged deer carcass.

Phipps said the image was in his head when the band recorded the album, and it reflects its lyrical themes.

“A lot of the album is about death,” he said. “Not just all about death, but being afraid of death and living as a death-fearing individual.”

Phipps said he was happy with the quality of the album mostly because "it doesn’t annoy (him) to listen to it yet.”

“I think that’s the most you can do,” he said. “Rather than have a big scope of what could happen, just continue making music that you like … Making music to my standards that I enjoy, and that’s what I want to keep doing.”

The house show is being organized by former ASU student Kirsten Webber, formerly of The Underground Foundation. She said Pro Teens wouldn’t have been able to embark on a nationwide tour without the support of local fans.

“It takes a lot of momentum for a local band to reach the point of an East Coast tour, and that support begins with people here at home,” she said. “If it wasn't for loyal fans from the Tempe/Phoenix music scene providing local bands with constant encouragement, bands like Pro Teens would not have the ability to get to the level of national recognition.”

Pro Teens will perform along with local jazz ensemble TeHe and indie-rock group Femny. Isaac Soto, lead singer for Femny who goes by the stage name Dirtbike Dan, said he has long admired Pro Teens, and he enjoys seeing local bands go on to greater success.

“I like seeing attention given where it’s deserved,” he said.  “I like seeing that (Pro Teens) is being talked about, played, listened to and paid attention to.”

The “Accidentally” tour kick-off will be held at 315 S. Beck Ave in Tempe on Wednesday, Sept. 28 with the doors opening at 7:30 p.m. and the show beginning at 8 p.m. Entry is $5 and the event is all ages.

Reach the reporter at idickins@asu.edu or follow @sailormouthed92 on Twitter.

×