New Someburros location means twice the fun and twice the churros this football season

Someburros opens a second location in Sun Devil Stadium

A crowd lines-up for restaurant Someburros’ new location on the east side concourse of Sun Devil Stadium before a game against Texas Tech on Saturday, Sept. 10, 2016.

In celebration of its 30th anniversary, East Valley Mexican restaurant chain Someburros has added a second location within Sun Devil Stadium for the 2016-17 football season to serve more fans than ever before. 

By doubling their presence in the stadium, Someburros offers every Sun Devil football fan a taste of local flavor. The two locations serve opposite ends of the stadium, with one on the west side and the new location on the east side.

Vice president Amy Vasquez said it’s a “really exciting time” for Someburros, as its 30th anniversary coincides with the addition of three new locations, along with the second restaurant in Sun Devil Stadium.

Vasquez said that her family, who have owned and operated the Someburros restaurant in the Valley for the past three decades, has a long tradition of Sun Devil pride.

“My dad is ASU, my mother and myself both graduated from ASU,” she said. “My niece is a current Sun Devil. We have a lot of Sun Devil roots. Seeing our name on the (stadium’s) big screen is pretty awesome.”

Vasquez said Someburros was asked to open a second location in Sun Devil Stadium due to last season’s success with the first location in the stadium.

“We were very well received last year,” she said. “People loved seeing us at Sun Devil Stadium, and they asked to go ahead and add another location to serve people in the stadium, and we were happy to do it.”

Head of marketing Cody Larkin said he hopes the brand’s long-standing local success will continue to carry the restaurant chain will into the future. 

“I hope the brand itself continues to be successful here in the East Valley, not just for the past 30 years, but for the next 30 years as well,” he said.

Ben Burke, director of sponsorships for Sun Devil Properties, said he was happy to see Someburros expand its ASU presence.

"We're happy to have a corporate partner like Someburros that wants to grow with us," he said. "We're proud that they're owned by a former (ASU) student-athlete. It's an all-round good partnership, and we're happy to have them."

As with the other locations, the new Someburros will offer all the Mexican eats the chain is known for, including green chili burros, horchata and churros.

All of the Someburros locations are also offering a game-day special this season. Guests who order burros before kickoff will get a free churro after the game. 

The two Someburros locations at Sun Devil Stadium will be open for the next home game on Saturday, Sept. 24, when the ASU football team takes on the California Golden Bears.

Reach the reporter at idickins@asu.edu or follow @sailormouthed92 on Twitter.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter

×