ASU students flocked to the Wells Fargo Arena Friday night for InfernoFest 2016, a sold-out, high-energy concert featuring Kesha with an opening performance from ASU alum DJ Munition.

The show was sponsored by the Programming and Activities Board (PAB) with contributions from the Undergraduate Student Government.

Supply chain management and marketing junior Patrick Gibbens is the Vice President of Programming for PAB. He said there was great feedback when they announced Kesha as the headline act.

“The response from students (has been) overwhelmingly positive,” he said. “It’s a sold-out show, and people started tweeting and snapchatting about it almost instantly. We’re hoping that it becomes just as great as years past.”

Gibbens said the concert is part of PAB’s mission to bring great experiences to the ASU student body.

“My hope is that people start talking about the event and get all their friends to come out and support it, because anything we do, we do for the students,” he said.

Students lined up in front of the stadium over an hour before doors opened for a shot at securing a wristband for floor access. Energy was high as students prepared to enter the venue.

Chemical engineering sophomore Andrew Bowen said he had been anticipating the concert for months.

“I was super stoked to find out she was performing,” he said. “I’ve been hyping it up since the day I heard about it. It’s nice to see a lot of people out here coming to support her.”

Kesha was announced as the headline act for Infernofest 2016 amidst controversy surrounding her continuing legal battle with producer Dr. Luke. In 2014, Kesha filed a civil suit against him for accounts of physical, sexual and emotional abuse.

Kesha Complaint by Eriq Gardner on Scribd

Dr. Luke filed a countersuit as well as a defamation lawsuit against her lawyer.

In February, the Supreme Court ruled against Kesha's request to be released from her contract. In April they dismissed her claims of abuse, and in August, Kesha dropped all charges. However, on Instagram the singer commented that she would continue to "fight for her rights."

Supply chain management sophomore Randall Handley said he was excited for the show because he felt that the recent events showcased Kesha's inner strength.

“It shows she’s still committed to performing and making people happy with the music she creates,” he said. “She’s not giving up even though she’s had a lot of setbacks.”

Reach the reporter at skylar.mason@asu.edu or follow @skylarmason42 on Twitter.

×