Tempe Police: 3 protesters arrested in Mill Avenue protest identified

Rev. Jarrett Maupin, Calvin Hollins Jr. and Michael Moynihan were arrested Monday morning during a Black Lives Matter protest

A protestor is arrested during a police-violence protest on the Mill Avenue bridge on Monday, Sept. 26, 2016.

Tempe Police arrested three protesters during a Black Lives Matter protest in downtown Tempe on Monday. Around 100 protesters marched to protest the police related shootings of Dalvin Hollins and Michelle Cusseaux.

The organizer Rev. Jarrett Maupin said the goal of the protest was to shut down the two Mill Avenue bridges, blocking the roads on those bridges.

"Nothing good ever came from a sidewalk protest," Maupin said. 

Maupin, 29, was the organizer of the event and was arrested while walking on the road. His arrest was on suspicion of the obstruction of a public thoroughfare and failure to obey a lawful order of a police officer, according to a Tempe Police statement.

Calvin Hollins Jr., 43, is the father of Dalvin Hollins, the teenager shot by police in July. Dalvin's death resulted in a series of protests, some of which were organized by Maupin. 

Calvin was arrested on suspicion of obstruction of a public thoroughfare, failure to obey a lawful order of a police officer and an outstanding Chandler warrant for disorderly conduct, according to police.

Police Brutality Protest on Mill Ave Bridges from The State Press on Vimeo.

Protester Michael Moynihan, 34, was also arrested on suspicion of obstruction of a public thoroughfare and failure to obey a lawful order of a police officer, police wrote in the statement.

Police notified protesters multiple times before and during the event that they would be arrested if they failed to stay on sidewalks.

According to the police statement, "Protesters were provided the lawful opportunity to voice their concerns and reminded numerous times to remain on the sidewalks to assure their safety, along with the safety of others commuting in the area."

Chris McCrory contributed to the reporting of this study. 

Reach the assistant news editor at megan.janetsky@asu.edu or follow  @meganjanetsky on Twitter.

Like  The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×