Will your diet lead to chronic disease? Nutrition specialists weigh in on Western diet

Student decides diet.

Photo illustration

A recent study has found that a traditional “Western” diet can lead to a higher chance of chronic diseases later in life — something that might concern students on a college diet.

The U.S. has one of the highest standards of living in the entire world, but the diet most Americans have can be problematic. The study, published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition, suggests that when comparing American diets to that of countries such as Egypt and Sri Lanka, the Western diet is associated with increased risk for diseases like Alzheimer's, dementia and diabetes.

"The term 'Western' usually describes how Americans eat; these are diets usually high in animal products and contain more processed food," Carol Johnston, the director of the Nutrition Program at ASU's College of Health Studies, said. 

via GIPHY

Compared to nations with diets lower in red meat and processed food, the U.S. had almost double the percentage of individuals who developed Alzheimer’s disease.

Many other parts of the world tend to eat something more similar to what is known as a Mediterranean, or plant-based diet. 

"The Mediterranean diet seems to have protected its users; it consists of less animal products but a lot of fish and whole grains,” Johnston said. "They also eat a lot of nuts which contain better fats that help to boost health.”

Private peanut

The authors of the study do not stand alone in their assertions.

“I think that there is a lot of data to support those associations," said Corrie Whisner, an assistant professor of nutrition at ASU's School of Nutrition and Health Promotion

For example, Whisner said that part of the problem lies in protein intake. 

“Protein is labor-intensive and energy-intensive, so it takes a toll on the little enzymes trying to (process the protein)," Whisner said. "Protein has nitrogen, and the body can only absorb a certain amount, so if you eat a lot of meat, it puts a lot of stress on your kidneys.” 

There are ways to avoid the suspected adverse effects of a Western diet, however.  

Makenna Baum is the President of the Student Nutrition Council at ASU.

She said people should check the back of labels on the products they buy and plan out their eating schedules for the week in order to ensure they are getting important nutrients. 

“It takes some discipline, so start small," Baum said. "I think that a lot of people are like ‘I’m going to change my whole life right now,’ but no one can really do that."

That said, Baum's largest point was a simple one.

"Everything in moderation," she said. 

Reach the reporter at cdemert@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @dolewayne

×