ASU football downplays offensive transitions

New coordinator? New quarterback? New line? No problems.

manny_brady

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Manny Wilkins and redshirt freshman quarterback Brady White jog off the Kajikawa Practice Fields and head into the Verde Dickey Dome during this morning's practice session in Tempe on Aug. 31, 2016.Photo by Stefan Modrich

Since ASU football lost to West Virginia in the Motel 6 Cactus Bowl last year and the seniors walked off the collegiate gridiron for the last time, the future of the team's offense has been hanging in the balance.

That said, offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey replaced Mike Norvell in August, bringing with him the pedigree of a Southern Mississippi's high-powered offense.

Last year, Lindsey’s offense boasted two 1000-yard rushers and a quarterback who threw for over 4000 yards en route to a 9-5 record. When he left for the desert, his old team lost in the Heart of Dallas Bowl 

Lindsey's background in high school resembles other coaches on ASU head coach Todd Graham's staff over the years. Oddly enough, he coached under Gus Malzahn at Auburn, who coached under Graham at Tulsa, meaning the offense, even if it’s not the same, will have a similar tune as Norvell’s: fast paced and run first.

The quarterback position remains up in the air (sort of) with just a few days until the Sun Devil offense takes the field against NAU.

By all accounts, the battle between redshirt sophomore Manny Wilkins and redshirt freshman Brady White was a close one. All that remains to be seen is whether the man leading the Sun Devils onto the field has a 2 or 5 on his chest.

Wilkins, the elder of the two, has received more first team reps recently. Redshirt senior Tim White did not reference Brady White when asked if either quarterback was ready on Wednesday, but no official word has come down from Graham or the coaching staff. 

A large “OR” is placed between the two signal-callers' names on the first depth chart of the season.

Anyone on the team who was asked about the battle has remained neutral, answering any question by naming both White and Wilkins and referencing their leadership.

Just as important for the Sun Devils is who will protect White and Wilkins. Four new starters join redshirt senior Evan Goodman in the trenches, but the lone returner is not concerned by the lack of experience in his linemates.

Following his graduation, former center Nick Kelly joined the coaching staff and has helped ease the transition for new players, such as redshirt freshman Zach Robertson, who said he's been a huge help.

The only returner on the line is Goodman, who holds onto his spot protecting the blind side of the team's eventual quarterback.

"We worked very hard this summer to get in shape and lose weight," Goodman said. "That way we can be conditioned and not fall off through the fourth quarter."

Joining Goodman on the line this year are redshirt senior Stephon McCray, redshirt sophomores Sam Jones and Quinn Bailey, and redshirt freshman Zach Robertson, who have combined to start three games.

Despite that, Goodman is confident the front five are ready for the first snap on Saturday.

"We've been around each other for two years now," Goodman said. "I feel very confident in the other four and they feel confidence in ourselves to get the job done."

The players who remain from the Sun Devil offense last season are ready to carry the load of the departed. Junior running backs Demario Richard and Kalen Ballage have come into their own as the one-two punch they were expected to be. Redshirt senior Kody Kohl joins White as one of the most experienced pass catchers on the roster and will act as a safety blanket with big-play ability.

Four lineman, Norvell and Bercovici out. Four new linemen, Lindsey and either Wilkins or White in. Next man up.

UPDATE: ASU head coach Todd Graham announced on Arizona Sports 98.7 Friday morning that Manny Wilkins will be the starter for Saturday's season opener vs. NAU.

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

×