ASU soccer draws 1-1 tie against No. 22 Utah

In the third overtime game of the season, the Sun Devils couldn't muster up a win at home.

ASU sophomore forward Natalie Stephens tries to get the ball from a Utah defender in the 1-1 draw against the Utah Utes in Sun Devil Soccer Stadium in Tempe, Arizona, on Thursday, Sept. 29, 2016.

The script was there as ASU soccer and No. 22 Utah headed into double overtime. The game was tied 1-1 after a hard-fought 90 minutes. However, neither team would finish the script with an exclamation point.

The Sun Devils (5-3-2) hosted the Utes (6-2-2) on Thursday for the first Pac-12 conference game at Sun Devil Soccer Stadium and drew a double overtime tie.

Both teams played an evenly matched first half. Junior forward Jessica Raybe just missed the goal on a header attempt in the 15th minute, while junior forward Jazmarie Mader had multiple shot attempts that couldn’t find the back of the net.

Head coach Kevin Boyd said his team wasn’t aggressive enough in the first half to get behind defenders and score.

“When you put together a certain number of passes in the attacking half we generate more chances,” Boyd said. “And I think we took that too literally, because every time we got the ball we just wanted to go backwards and sideways.”

The Utes didn’t break away until the final minute before halftime.

A foul from junior defender Taylor Coon set up the Utah goal in the 44th minute. Coon was battling sophomore midfielder Paola Van der Veen for a loose ball when she grabbed a handful of Van der Veen’s jersey. The foul gave Coon a yellow card and Utah capitalized.

ASU soccer draws 1-1 tie against No. 22 Utah from The State Press on Vimeo. Video by Michael Baron.

Van der Veen took the kick and launched the ball into the 18-yard box where it was met by redshirt senior midfielder Katie Rogers, who headed it past freshman goalkeeper Emma Malsy.

In the first half, ASU fouled Utah six times and drew two yellow cards by the final.

“We were committing too many fouls and it’s hard to keep defending like that,” Boyd said.

At the half, ASU took six shots to Utah’s three.

Junior forward Jazmarie Mader said her team started off discombobulated, but refocused and got their heads back in the game.

“We knew what was happening and we just needed to come together and talk about it,” Mader said. “We stepped up our game a lot in the second half.”

Junior midfielder Aly Moon was sidelined due to a collision that happened during last week’s UCLA game. When asked how the team did without Moon, Boyd said the team was very effected.

“We are not doing a good enough job for all our players, a number of them aren’t doing a good job of holding the ball and connecting,” Boyd said.

After halftime, ASU dug deep to apply even more pressure than the first half, which paid off.

Junior forward Jazmarie Mader scored her seventh goal of the season in the 81st minute. Freshman midfielder Christina Edwards went on a breakaway before passing the ball to Mader just outside the 18-yard box.

“I saw the keeper and I turned and saw her close her legs after I already shot it,” Mader said. “But in my mind I was like, ‘wow if she closes her legs and I miss this goal I am in so much trouble’.”

Mader took a shot that went past Utah goalkeeper July Mathias, tying the game 1-1.

Boyd said Mader’s style of play is hard to predict and is a big part in why she is so effective.

“If you watch Jaz play she has an abundance of ‘happy accidents’ and its just who she is,” Boyd said.

No team could string together another goal-scoring play, which sent the game into overtime. While the minutes were ticking away in the second overtime, senior forward Larisa Staub took a shot that sent fans to their feet.

Staub ripped a shot that hit the corner of the crossbar, a shot so hard that the back of the net rippled as if the ball had touched it.

“I hit a knucleball and I was like, ‘oh my gosh its going in’,” Staub said.

However, Staub's shot was the final chance ASU had to take the lead. The game ended in a 1-1 tie after double overtime.

The Sun Devils have a quick turnaround and host Colorado at Sun Devil Soccer Stadium on Sunday at 3 p.m.

Reach the reporter at kcvalen1@asu.edu or follow @kvalenzuela17 on Twitter.

Reach the videographer at michael.baron@asu.edu or on twitter @Michael_Baron_96 

×