ASU soccer downs CSU Fullerton 2-0

Goals from Lucy Lara and Adriana Orozco helped propel the Sun Devils to a win.

ASU sophomore forward Natalie Stephens goes for a ball in the midfield during a 2-0 win over Cal State Fullerton in Sun Devil Soccer Stadium in Tempe, Arizona, on Friday, Sept. 16, 2016.

ASU soccer kept up it's winning ways against Cal State Fullerton, earning a 2-0 victory on Friday afternoon in Tempe.

The Sun Devils improved their record to 5-2-1 on the year while the Titans fell to 3-5.

After a slow start to the game, ASU took a 1-0 lead in the 22nd minute thanks to a goal from redshirt senior Lucy Lara that was mishandled by the Fullerton goalkeeper.

Lara said she was very excited about her second goal of the season.

"Honestly, I don't even know how it happened, I literally didn't think it was going to go in," Lara said. "They were just telling me how I englished the ball in, and we've been working on englishing the ball, just giving it a spin, and that spin really helped and it went in.

"I literally was like, 'Yes! I scored!' and we were all just happy that I scored. It was a group effort, though for sure."

Even though the Sun Devils took a 1-0 lead into the half, their offense still was not getting consistent shots on goal. That changed in the second half.

ASU came out hot in the second 45 and capitalized early with a well-placed goal from sophomore midfielder Adriana Orozco in the 47th minute.

Orozco said that having that second goal on the board really helped the team's confidence for the rest of the match.

"I think putting us up really gave us a confidence boost, because being 1-0 it's really still like the game could go either way," Orozco said. "I think another goal from us brought the energy up as a team." 

Another player that stood out in this game was Natalie Stephens. The sophomore forward may not have found the back of the net, but she was an offensive menace for the Sun Devils in the second half.

Stephens contributed the assist on Orozco's goal and also had one of her shots bounce off the post in the 52nd minute.

ASU coach Kevin Boyd said that even though Stephens didn't blow up the stat sheet, she still had an impressive performance.

"She is capable of some amazing feats and when that ball stops hitting the post and starts going in. We're all going to recognize it by her stats," Boyd said. "Right now we're seeing it, she's just not getting the results of the goal yet. She is a tremendous player and it's just a matter of time."

The Sun Devils will open up Pac-12 play in their next game at UCLA on Sept. 22.

Reach the reporter at mpharri7@asu.edu or follow @Harris_Mark7 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×