Paving the way to success: How to land a job straight out of college

How to stand out in the workforce when looking for a job

Photo illustration.

Photo illustration.

Leaving college and searching for a job to no avail is a nightmare for everyone. 

From the moment we enter college, we are encouraged to get involved. Whether it is by joining clubs, programs, study abroad opportunities or getting a job while trying to do well in school, the race for a stellar resume to land the job of our dreams is constant. 

Trying to take the right steps to land a good job after college means students are going to excessive lengths just to get a foot in the door. They're trying to get a degree yet are told a degree is not good enough to land a job in a competitive work field. 

Does getting involved outside of academic life make a difference once a student enters the real world and presents a resume to an employer? 

Will their lengthy experience with clubs and organizations make a difference when others also present a degree and a good GPA?

According to the Washington Post, "63 percent of college graduates who completed a paid internship received a job offer, compared to 35 percent who never interned during their time in school. Those graduates with paid internships also scored an average starting salary of $52,000, 28 percent more than peers without internship experience." 

Therefore, it is safe to assess that making the effort toward getting involved provides some applicants with leverage over other applicants.

"Getting involved in research, internships and organizations teaches leadership skills (and) provides the opportunity for a leadership role in an organizations, you make connections and get to network," Linda Sullivan, ASU Department of English academic advisor, said. "In a career field, getting involved sets you apart from other students and sets the stage for your career when you have good contacts and connects."

Some degree programs at ASU require internship hours during the last two semesters of a student's studies for graduation. These requirements varies based on the residential college a student is enrolled under or the degree program that the student is in or potential earn credit. 

Whitney Mgbara, senior mathematics major, finds academics outside of the classroom very important and has devoted some of her time to going to conferences to present research in order to make connections with professionals in her field. 

Mgbara is also the vice president of financial advising for a club called Devils Pitching In

Even though the topic of getting involved mainly surrounds jobs it is also useful when it comes to applying for graduate school to further your studies. 

"At the conferences that I have gone to, I have met people from Berkeley, NSA, Utah, Ohio so after I meet them I send them a email saying I how we can keep in touch," Mgbara said. "Now I have a mentor, and I ask them questions on what to do on the application process so I have people guiding me through out the process so I am not doing on my own."

Mgbara plans on getting her Ph.D. in mathematics before she enters the workforce. 

Getting through college does not only require a degree and good grades alone anymore. With the competitive job market, employers are seeking who they find to be most experienced. 

Reach the columnist at shemartomlinson@gmail.com or follow @shemartomlison on Twitter.

×