On the home front: What it is like to be a protestor at a political rally

Political rally attendees and protestors see or to eye more than they may think

A protestor marches around downtown Phoenix during a Trump rally on Wednesday, Aug. 31, 2016.

As election season nears its close, cities big and small across the country draw crowds of hundreds and sometimes thousands of people when a political figure speaks at a local rally.

For some of these attendees, this is an opportunity to hear a political icon that they have perhaps looked up to for a long time. For opposing party members, it is a time to express their different views through protest.

Last week, first lady Michelle Obama visited the Phoenix Convention Center in downtown Phoenix to rally Democratic support in Arizona, a state that typically votes Republican come Election Day.

Outside the venue, along with hundreds who could not enter after the building reached capacity, were protestors such as Kathryn Kobor, a 73-year-old Phoenix resident who supports Donald Trump and the Republican Party. She defines her experience of being a long-time protestor as a difficult task.

“Being out here is hard work — we should get paid,” Kobor said. “You get spit on, you get water bottles tossed to you, you get pushed, you get shoved, you get called every name in the book — some of them I’ve never even heard.”

Other protestors, such as Eric Smaltz, a resident of Surprise, Arizona and a protestor during Michelle Obama’s event, said he believes both protesting and one-on-one political discourse is useful.

“For the American people, they want to see action; they want to see excitement,” Smaltz said. “I would like to get into a significant conversation — a passionate conversation, not an angry conversation — and that requires one-on-one.”

While some who attended the rally seemed noticeably bothered by the activists, others were unaffected by the protestors and their views. For instance, Melissa Lambert, a social work freshman, doesn’t mind protestors unless they’re being disrespectful or clamorous.

“I think peaceful (protesting) is more effective, because if you’re yelling, it shows more passion, but I don’t think it’s always for the right reasons,” Lambert said. “Some people just do it to be wild, rather than actual protesting for actual reasons.”

Another rally attendee, Phoenix resident Craig Mick, even applauded the protestors despite their differentiation in political views.

“I’m glad they’re doing it — I give them kudos for protesting instead of the people that just sit on the internet yelling at people,” Mick said. “I love that they have the right to do it.”

Mick also mentioned how he views rowdy protestors in comparison to those who protest without as much commotion.

“I like the ones yelling because then I don’t feel as bad yelling back at them, whereas the ones who aren’t getting in peoples face, I’m not going to get in their face,” Mick said.

However, in the face of such scrutiny. Kathryn Kobor credits protestors like herself as the greatest advocates of their own political views.

“I write letters to editor’s, I call Washington, I call my legislators and I’ve backed bills, but I just feel that I can get my message out to more people by protesting, because I have my sign and people ask me questions, and I just feel it’s a very effective way,” said Kobor. “At times, it can get difficult because of the heat — but I feel it’s more than worth it."

Reach the reporter at vkeys@asu.edu or follow @VKeys1231 on Twitter.

×