Roundtable: Trio of alumni ready for ASU men's tennis to compete again

T.J. Bellama, Matt Brooklyn and Patrick Brogan were key cogs during their playing days

The Sun Devil women's tennis team squares of against UCLA at the Whiteman Tennis Center on April 3rd, 2015. The Sun Devils would lose to the Bruins 3-4.

For 106 years (1902 to 2008) the players, coaches, trainers and fans of ASU men's tennis had a presence on campus. In 2008, budget cuts forced the University to drop the program, and alumni reacted accordingly. Many wondered if their beloved sport would ever return.

In May, those fears were put to rest. The program was reinstated, and the team is set to begin to play in 2017. Former players T.J. Bellama, Matthew Brooklyn and Patrick Brogan — all of whom were part of the last ASU men's team in 2008 — are thrilled that their alma mater is bringing back the sport they love.

Bellama served as a captain during his junior season at ASU. From 2005 to 2008, he compiled a career 53-44 singles record.

Brooklyn played as a Sun Devil from 2006 to 2008. He compiled a 48-23 career singles record, and in his final season served as the team's No.1 player in both singles and doubles. He was a first-team All-Pac-10 selection as a senior.

Brogan played for ASU from 2007 to 2008 and competed in singles and doubles.

Recently, The State Press sat down with all three athletes. They discussed their reactions to the program’s reinstatement, their experience at ASU and their lives after college.

How much does it mean to have the ASU men’s tennis program back as a sponsored sport?

Bellama: It means that my experience was not in isolation. It means that others have seen the value and unique experience of college tennis. It also means that we get another shot. When we were cut, we did not have a strong enough community to bring the program back right away despite the efforts of many. This time, we can build the community, involve the alumni, broaden the impact in the University and the Phoenix tennis community and create a sustainable program.

Brooklyn: I have been very fortunate with the experiences I have had and the places I have been because ASU recruited me, and also because the team was dropped. After the initial shock of what happened in 2008, I never felt resentment to ASU. To echo that statement, when I heard rumors of the program returning, I was very excited. To have the old maroon and gold return is great news for not only the conference but college tennis as a whole. I am really looking forward to seeing what the new Sun Devils team can achieve!

Brogan: When I first heard the news, I immediately started researching eligibility requirements. If there was any possible way for me to play my final two years of tennis at ASU, I would have moved back to Tempe in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, there’s not. I’m extremely excited to see the Devils back on the court and have full confidence in (current head coach) Matt Hill to fight with might and lead the team onward to victory.

What was your experience like playing college tennis at ASU?

Bellama: My experience as part of the team was excellent. Some of my closest friends now were on those teams , and I'm glad to have come away with those relationships. On the court, more than any one win, I remember the atmosphere. I remember the support, the pressure of playing for your team, the feeling of being the last match on court and having everything ride on you, the pride in watching younger players be successful knowing that I helped guide them there.

Brooklyn: I loved every second of playing for ASU. The coaches (Lou Belkin and Laurie Warder) gave me a chance by offering me a scholarship, and I could not be more grateful to them. The best part about the program for me was the team. They are some of the best people I have met in my life. Most of my teammates are still very close friends with four being groomsman in my wedding recently. Favorite memory is beating U of A. I clinched the match playing No. 1 singles as a freshman 7-6 in the third. Being the last match of the year and beating Arizona was a great feeling and a memory that will last a lifetime.

Brogan: Playing tennis at ASU was the best experience I could have asked for. I wasn’t recruited and my only option was to try and walk-on, albeit I was told my chances were less than 1 percent of making the team. There was a walk-on tournament, and the winner got to practice one day with the team. After several days of tournament play, I made it to the finals where I found myself down 5-2, 40-15 in the third set. Basically 1 point away from my tennis career being over and happened to come back and win 7-5. The following week and one practice later, the coaches informed me I made the team, and that’s where it all began.

How has life treated you since graduating from ASU?

Bellama: After ASU, I got my doctorate in physical therapy and move to Baltimore where my wife was in dental school. I worked at Johns Hopkins Hospital, started a company doing injury prevention programming and evaluations for elite junior tennis players and CrossFit athletes and have carried that over since moving back to the valley last year. Right now, I spend three days a week practicing at Endurance Rehab in Arcadia and the rest of the time doing research and consulting.

Brooklyn: After just getting married, I have now moved to live and work in Toronto. Immediately after ASU, I transferred and finished my degree and tennis at UCLA, a decision I look back on with fond memories and would not change. After UCLA I worked as the assistant coach to the men's and women's programs at Georgetown, where I also got a master's degree. After Georgetown, I moved to San Diego to coach the men's program for two years. Following USD, I worked in New York as a freelance tennis coach until the time came to move to Toronto. I have been fortunate enough to live in some of the best cities in North America ... An opportunity that began with the opportunity ASU tennis gave me.

Brogan: I was a sophomore when the ASU Tennis team was cut, and I considered leaving to play at another tennis program. It was a tough decision, but I ultimately decided to finish my junior and senior year at ASU, despite not playing tennis. Shortly after graduating in 2010, I sold enterprise software for two years, and then moved to Texas for medical device sales. It didn’t take long for me to realize that working for a large company wasn’t going to work out long term, as I had always wanted to run my own business. Sure enough in late 2013, I started a company called Banana Products which was formed around a unique product called the "Banana Cone." Stemmed from Mario Kart, the Banana Cone is a safety cone (i.e wet floor sign) molded into the shape of a banana peel.

Reach the reporter at jjacquez@asu.edu or follow @joejacquezaz on Twitter.

×