ASU soccer downed by Washington State 2-1 in double overtime

The Cougars recorded 30 shots, with 14 being on goal.

Soccer at WSU

Sophomore forward Natalie Stephens approaches the ball in ASU soccer's 2-1 loss to Washington State on Sunday, Oct. 9 in Pullman, Wash.

Overtime was the theme of the weekend as ASU soccer was defeated by WSU in double overtime 2-1 on Sunday. This came after the Sun Devils (6-5-2, 1-3-1 Pac-12) got a double overtime win on Thursday against Washington. 

ASU faced the Cougars (6-6-1, 1-4 Pac-12) in Pullman for a rainy afternoon game Sunday and went down due to a goal in the 106th minute.

The golden goal was created off a cross from sophomore defender Grace Hancock, who sent the ball to the top of the 18-yard box where freshman forward Morgan Weaver took one touch and sent the ball into the lower right corner of the ASU goal.  

Redshirt junior goalkeeper Megan Delaney got the call and started for the Sun Devils. This is the first time Delaney has started in goal since Sept. 4 against Denver, a game where ASU fell 3-1.

The first goal of the game came off the foot of ASU junior forward Jazmarie Mader in the 19th minute. Mader’s eighth goal of the season came from a penalty kick she took after she was fouled in the box. Her goal gave the Sun Devils a 1-0 advantage.

In the first half, ASU took five shots while WSU took seven.

The Cougars took the field by storm in the second half, dominating ASU’s defensive side. WSU took 13 shots alone in the second period and only allowed ASU to take one shot on goal.

Those efforts paid off after Wazzu scored the equalizing goal in the 83rd minute. Senior forward Kaitlyn Johnson took a shot inside the 18-yard box — which was deflected by Delaney — and freshman forward Katie Jones followed the rebound to score her second goal on the season.

Overtime ensued and the Cougars found the back of the net in the 106th minute to win the game 2-1. By the end of the game, WSU recorded 30 shots while ASU took just six. 

The Sun Devils will return home to Sun Devil Soccer Stadium on Saturday to host USC at 6 p.m.

Reach the reporter at kcvalen1@asu.edu or follow @kvalenzuela17 on Twitter.

×