Golden goal lifts ASU soccer 3-2 over UW

Madison Kmetko scored the game- winning goal in the 105th minute of play.

Soccer at UW

ASU soccer celebrates a goal late in regulation by senior forward Larisa Staub against UW. The Sun Devils defeated the Huskies 3-2 in overtime in Seattle.

In its fourth overtime game of the season, ASU soccer finally found its first win in the Pac-12 conference off of a golden goal against Washington.

Junior midfielder Madison Kmetko scored the game-winning goal in the 105th minute of play on a shot that ricocheted off her back.

The Sun Devils (6-4-2, 1-2-1 Pac-12) defeated the Huskies (5-7-1, 0-4-0 Pac-12) 3-2 Thursday night in the Pacific Northwest.

Both teams didn’t score until late in the first half. The Sun Devils struck first in the 28th minute on a goal by Aly Moon — a great welcome back after she was sidelined due to an injury acquired during the UCLA game back in September.

Redshirt senior Lucy Lara passed the ball to Moon, who took it into the 18-yard box and sent a flying shot passed the keeper and into the upper right corner of the goal.

However, ASU’s 1-0 lead was short-lived as the Huskies equalized in the 40th minute from a mistake by freshman goalkeeper Emma Malsy.

On the previous play, Malsy had come up with the ball after she saved a shot from UW. However, Malsy’s drop-kick went wrong and found the feet of a Huskies player just outside the 18-yard box. The ball was then passed to freshman midfielder Kennedy Smith who scored on an open goal and tied the score 1-1.

At the half, ASU had taken two shots with one being on goal and the Huskies took four shots with two on goal.

Just after halftime, the Huskies struck again, this time off a header.

In the 53rd minute, senior midfielder Miranda Rawlings sent a cross into the 18-yard box where junior forward Shannon Simon met the ball and headed it into the back of the net, which put the Huskies up 2-1.

With time running out, senior forward Larisa Staub came up clutch for ASU after being at the right place at the right time.

Moon took a shot on goal that was deflected by the goalkeeper — the ball was sent high into the air off the deflection which is when Staub struck. She followed the ball and took a shot behind the goalkeeper, sending in an easy goal and tying the game at 2-2.

In double overtime, Kmetko became the hero and scored the golden goal off an attempted clear by a UW defender, giving ASU its first win since September 16. 

ASU will now head to Pullman, where they will face Washington State on Sunday at 11:00 a.m.

Reach the reporter at kcvalen1@asu.edu or follow @kvalenzuela17 on Twitter.

×