It's time for America to catch the soccer bug

Soccer is the most popular sport in the world, and America needs to get on board with it

Photo illustration done on Nov. 13, 2016.

I was going to write a column about how America needs to embrace the sport of soccer, but then the United States lost to Mexico on Thursday night.

I guess I should still write it.

Despite Thursday’s disappointing 2-1 loss to the country’s biggest soccer rival, I still believe that soccer is a sport that needs more widespread acceptance in America.

You probably knew a kid who played soccer growing up, it’s also incredibly likely that you were one of those kids playing youth soccer. For a country that “doesn’t care” about soccer, we see almost 25 million kids who play it here every year.

However, there’s a stigma that hangs over the sport of soccer in this country. I feel like a part of the problem is that our best athletes don’t make a living out of the sport. They go to another sport, like football, basketball or baseball.

That’s where the money is. The NFL alone took in over $12 billion last year, and the Cowboys are the league’s richest team valued at $2.1 billion alone. For comparison, the Seattle Sounders of Major League Soccer are worth around $285 million.

Is that how we value how good a sport is, though? By the money it’s worth? Honestly, I’m here to tell you that you’ll have more fun at a soccer match for less money.

Anyone out there reading this who saw the headline and thought, “Oh, soccer. What a lame sport,” has clearly never been to a game. There is nothing, nothing like watching live soccer with people passionate about the sport.

A true soccer fan never sits during the game. True fans sit with the team’s supporter groups, who usually sit at one of the ends of the field. These supporters are typically the most die-hard fans a team has, and are responsible for leading chants and generally keeping the crowd amped.

“Wait, chants? What are you talking about?”

Oh yeah, chants. This isn’t a bunch of people screaming “D-FENCE” over and over again ad nauseam until they wait for another television commercial to stop play on the field. These are intricate chants, sometimes (like in Seattle) backed by what’s basically an entire band of fans who brought instruments into the stadium.

I’ve never had a bad time at a soccer game. While I understand that’s not the most fact-based or scientific argument to give to you as a reason to try the game out, I feel like I can get away with it on a subject as subjective as sports.

It really is something that you just have to “get," and that’s tough to say. It’s a virus, like a cold or flu, but instead of filling you with germs you get filled with these intense emotional connections to a team that you’ll never play for but somehow represents everything about you.

That's how an old friend of mine, Armando Martinez, feels about the sport. Growing up in El Salvador, soccer or "fútbol," as he's quick to point out, is a "way of life." 

"Sometimes we didn't need a field or goals. We would just play on the street and use a couple of rocks as goals. I think the best part was that everyone was willing to play," Martinez said.

"I think we love fútbol so much, because it brings us together," he added. 

I could make an appeal to start watching MLS, but if you don’t live in an area that supports an American pro team (looking your way, Phoenix), my best suggestion for you is to get behind United States national soccer.

It’s the only sport in the world where we find ourselves as underdogs. It’s fun to cheer for the underdogs, especially when they’re sporting that red, white and blue.

The national supporter group, the American Outlaws, has over 100 chapters spread across the United States. Meeting them is as easy as finding the chapter bar on their website.

You’ll never watch a game with more passionate fans. Fans that scream the national anthem before a game. Fans that never stop beating drums. Fans that never stop making noise, dancing, moving around and generally having a blast in the stands.

It’s a special sport, and I can’t give you any more reasons to give it a try. Catch the bug, start watching soccer.

Reach the columnist at cjwood3@asu.edu or follow @chriswood_311 on Twitter.

×