No Instruments? Not a problem for ASU's all-female a cappella choir

The Pitchforks bring young women together with a passion for music

The 2016 all-female a cappella group The Pitchforks pose together for a photoshoot on Oct. 23, 2016. They will be having their fall concert on Nov. 19 in Murdock Hall on ASU's Tempe Campus.

ASU’s only all-female a cappella group, The Pitchforks, set out to prove that they need nothing more than their voices to create quality music. The choir of 14 talented young women have had a strong start this semester and do not plan on slowing down.

Madeline Snarr, president of The Pitchforks and justice studies junior, said the purpose of The Pitchforks is to provide a place for self-expression in the ASU community.

“Our main goal is to sing and perform as a creative outlet for a lot of students on campus, as well as operate as advocates in the community, celebrating song and music in our own unique a cappella style,” Snarr said. “We function to entertain and create a really healthy space for expressing yourself. I think that’s really important on a college campus.”

Although it seems like movies such as "Pitch Perfect" popularized a cappella, The Pitchforks have been a thriving group at ASU for over 20 years. But the media’s increase in coverage on a cappella music, with things such as the rising group Pentatonix and various reality shows, has given the group more attention on campus.

Snarr said between 60 and 100 women try out every year for the group. With numbers that large, it is impossible to take everyone, she said, but that should not discourage students from auditioning. Every fall, The Pitchforks hold auditions for spots in their a cappella choir.

Being a part of a close-knit group is heavily sought after in college, and with The Pitchforks, that goal can be achieved. 

Lexi Faust, vice president of The Pitchforks and business management junior, said that students should join the group because it gives students a place to feel at home.

“It’s a sisterhood that a lot of people can’t find in college,” Faust said. “It’s not necessarily a sorority, as there are no fees. But it’s a small community within a large community at ASU.”

Like Faust, Mckenzie Hayes, music director of The Pitchforks and music therapy junior, enjoys the sisterhood aspect of The Pitchforks. She said that one of the best parts about being in The Pitchforks is getting to spend time with a diverse group of women.

“(The best part) is probably the diversity of the people,” said Hayes. “It’s really cool, because in most a cappella groups, everyone is a music major. Whereas in this a cappella group, you have world history majors and you have math majors and science majors. It’s just really interesting to be able to talk to every different person because they all have such a different view on life, but we all love coming together to make music.”

While the group is usually a competitive a cappella choir, The Pitchforks have decided to sit out this year's competitive season to harness the full potential of the young voices they have acquired and rebuild their sound. However, this does not mean The Pitchforks will stop wowing audiences with their music. The women will be having a fall concert on Nov. 19 in Murdock Hall on the Tempe campus at 6:30 p.m.

To stay up to date with all things Pitchforks and to support the group, students and staff can visit their Facebook page or their website.

Reach the reporter at kzgaskin@asu.edu or follow @kiya_gaskin on Twitter.

×