ASU students join peaceful protest downtown

ASU students joined the Living United for Change in Arizona (LUCHA) protest Tuesday evening. 

Protesters gathered at University Park in Phoenix Tuesday afternoon to demonstrate unity and peace across minority groups in protest of the current political climate. Huddled together to keep warm in the late-November brisk air, protestors held signs and prepared for their mile-long route down Van Buren Street, just blocks away from ASU’s downtown campus.

“This march is a reaction to the election—a lot of our base is students and they are feeling frustration with the rhetoric coming out of the election,” says Anabel Maldonado, the head organizer of Living United for Change in Arizona (LUCHA), who hosted the event.

The march, which is listed online as a peaceful, family-friendly demonstration in opposition to the issues surrounding the projected effects of the new president-elect, was host to an estimated 150 people, many of whom are ASU students.

Elvin Ezree, an electrical engineering junior at ASU, has been involved in these demonstrations since June.

““Keeping ASU a safe place gives me some hope — hopefully it stays that way,” Ezrre says.

This protest was arranged alongside the Phoenix Police Department in an effort to ensure the safety of everyone involved.

“We are part of a community rights squad and work to protect the first amendment rights, even of those against us,” says Phil Canchola of the Phoenix Police Department Community Response Squad. “We work to build a better relationship with the community and police department and bridge the gap that exists.”

Many of the volunteers for the march were wearing bright orange mesh vests over their clothes to signify their readiness to help other participants.

“All of the people with vests on are called ‘marshals’ and we make sure that [protesters] stay off of the street and try disengage with those who are against us,” says Aldo Gonzales, an immigration services employee with LUCHA.

LUCHA hosts marches and protests on a near-weekly basis, their events being host to an upwards of 600 people. This event was considered to be a smaller organized protest due to the slimmer attendance.

“[This protest is] going to be different because we have a madman in office,” says graduate Redeem Robinson, who works in nonprofit advocacy for African-American communities. “We’re not going to tolerate hate.”

A group of latinx community members gathered together for a photo on the park’s basketball court just minutes before the walk began, holding up homemade signs that organizers handed out.

“They like to bury us, but didn’t realize that we’re seeds,” one read.

×