The peaceful transfer of power is the most underrated part of our republic

We need the peaceful transfer of power

Donald Trump speaks during his campaign stop at the Phoenix Convention Center in Phoenix, Arizona, on Wednesday, Aug. 31, 2016.

Now that the election is a week old, it's time to focus on the peaceful transition of power that follows.

I honestly believe that the transition period between now and the inauguration in January is the most underrated and underappreciated segment of the democratic process.

Not many people know what it is, let alone understand what happens. It's probably the most important part of the process besides actually electing a president.

On November 9, the transition team for President-elect Trump, led by Vice President-elect Mike Pence, started working with President Obama's White House staff to coordinate the transfer of information, space and most importantly, power.

Without this cooperation between administrations (especially between the two major parties) the republic would be in danger of another civil war.

"The most important aspect of this process is that exists at all," Arizona state senator Andrew Sherwood said. "I think everyone is holding their breath right now, especially Democrats."

The most common conception of the transfer of power is that it's just both administrations swapping logistical information for furniture and file bins.

That's only half true. No furniture gets swapped in or out, but the file bins contain highly sensitive documents that are essential to governing the country.

Without the peaceful transition of power, the incumbent administration would be free to withhold certain documents the incoming administration would require to be successful.

But because our country has this process, the incumbent administration willingly works with the incoming one to help them out in any way they can and make sure the next president can begin his work quickly and efficiently.

I truly believe people need to be more appreciative of this process, especially after this election, because it could very well fall apart.

Nothing is guaranteed in this process (as I said earlier, it's courtesy based) and either administration could decline to work willingly with the other.

Our country is just truly blessed to have a sense of duty to step down and let someone else take over, by the will of the people.

And, to be able to peacefully and willingly support the upcoming administration, even if it's the opposite party, is more patriotic than anything.

Bottom line, we as a nation need to appreciate how lucky we are to not live in a country where a regime change doesn't spark major outbreaks of violence or even an all out war.

This is America, we're not that hungry for power.

via GIPHY

Reach the columnist at abundy@asu.edu or follow @abkbundy on Twitter.

×