NeuroDevils provides an environment for like-minded students

The ASU club connects students within the neuroscience community and helps them achieve success

President of NeuroDevils Adam Thompson poses for a photo at its first meeting on Jan. 23, 2017.

The club known as NeuroDevils attracts a diverse group of brainy students who share a common passion: neuroscience.

“There are not any other clubs on campus that focus on just the brain," said Dylan Fox, a member of NeuroDevils who is studying biology with a concentration in neurobiology and psychology. "The brain is unlike any other organ and cannot be grouped with anything else.”

NeuroDevils is the only neuroscience focused club on campus designed for undergraduate students.

“I wanted to join this club after taking AP Psychology my senior year of high school," said Amanda Ariola, vice president of the club and biomedical science major. "I found the subject really interesting, and I wanted to learn more about neuroscience and the opportunities available at ASU."

The club aims to provide undergraduate students interested in neuroscience with information, connections and opportunities available at ASU and beyond.

via GIPHY

"Being a part of both biology and psychology, I have friends in both areas who are interested in neuroscience," said Adam Thompson, president of NeuroDevils. "This inspired me to ensure that all students can gain exposure to information and opportunities available at ASU." 

Thompson is studying biology with a concentration in neurobiology and psychology. He is also a research assistant in Professor Samuel McClure's decision neuroscience lab on campus.

A majority of the club members hope to one day attend graduate school in the neuroscience field, or pursue medical degrees. Therefore, the club hopes they can connect undergraduate students with current graduate students and medical students who can offer advice and perspective.

"NeuroDevils is a bridge between my interests in neurobiology and the opportunities provided about graduate school," said Matheo Morales, a computational mathematics and genetics major.

To help their members achieve their post-undergraduate goals, NeuroDevils plans to hold resume building workshops, and assist students in finding related research and internships within ASU and the greater Phoenix area.

The club encourages its members to attend various neuroscience events at ASU, such as the GAINS symposium. GAINS, or Graduate Association of Interdisciplinary Neuroscience Students, is an association comprised of graduate students in the neuroscience field. They hold a conference in which its members can showcase their research in the neuroscience field.

Furthermore the club wants to engage in community service events with neuroscience related organizations such as the Walk to End Alzheimer’s and Project Cure.

In the future, NeuroDevils hopes to take its members on tours of Barrow Neurological Institute and The Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center at Mayo Clinic.

"This club has something for everyone, whether the goal is medical school or graduate school, the club wants to reach a diverse group of people," Thompson said.

All that is required to be a NeuroDevil is an interest in neuroscience. For more information about NeuroDevils and how to get involved, visit their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/ASNSClub/.

Reach the reporter at lnwilso5@asu.edu or follow @laurennoellie_ on Twitter.

×