ASU women's gymnastics falls to No. 15 Cal in Pac-12 opener

The Sun Devils hit a new season-high but couldn't keep up with the Golden Bears

Katelyn Lentz performs her floor routine during a gymnastics meet against the University of Washington Huskies at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Ariz., on Monday, Jan. 18, 2015. The Huskies posted a 194.650-192.450 victory over the Sun Devils.

No. 15 California proved they are a force to be reckoned with after beating ASU women's gymnastics 196.025 to 193.575 on Saturday.

The Golden Bears (4-0, 2-0 Pac-12) dominated every facet of the meet, as they swept the Sun Devils (2-4, 0-1 Pac-12) in all events. They set the tone early with a 9.85 from senior Emily Richard on vault and finished the meet strong with an impressive floor routine of 9.925 by Jamaican Olympian, Toni-Ann Williams.

However, ASU managed to score a season-high in total points. They continued their success on the floor with four Sun Devils recording scores of 9.700 or better, which lead to a total score of 48.550.

The Sun Devil's only senior, Beka Conrad, replaced sophomore Corinne Belkoff at the last moment on the beam and scored a 9.700. 

Once again, ASU had great individual moments coming from sophomore Katelyn Lentz who had a 9.700 on vault and a season high of 9.750 on the floor. Sophomore Morgan Wilson also had a career-high on vault with a score of 9.725.

ASU will return to Wells Fargo Arena to face No. 8 UCLA on Saturday, Feb. 4. 

Reach the reporter at jaramo12@asu.edu or follow hor_hay10 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×