Restaurants near campus give students a taste of food from around the world

Three local restaurants serve authentic food from around the globe, providing culturally diverse meals on a student budget

ethnic food asu

"ASU's campuses are a cultural and culinary hub." Illustration published Wednesday Feb. 22, 2017.

Many restaurants around ASU campuses are giving students a taste of world cuisine.

Several of these restaurants cater to students and provide authentic recipes from around the globe, including from Europe and Central America. 

CIBO — 603 N 5th Ave.

CIBO, in downtown Phoenix serves a specific brand of Italian food with a family vibe.

“It started 12 years ago,” Michael Krassner, one of the owners, said. “We bought this property, it was a house and we converted it to a restaurant.”

The restaurant focuses on serving pizza but also sells pastas, Italian appetizers and desserts.

“It’s very traditional southern Italian cuisine.” Krassner said. “I think we specialize in a very specific area called ‘Campania’ which is near Naples. It’s just a real neighborhood a restaurant, a family restaurant. Just about everything we have we import from Italy. Our pizza’s are handmade and cooked in our wood-fired oven.”

Perfect patio weather!!! #cibophx

A post shared by Cibo (@cibopizzeria) on

The Munchies Cafe — 11 E 6th St.

The Munchies Cafe, located near Mill Avenue, is "fast food" Greek cuisine served for ASU students. The cafe is opened late with prices made to help the struggling college student’s wallet.

“We serve quality food with low prices and we’re open till 3 a.m. every night,” said Sara Samardi, one of the owners, along with her husband. “It is a fast food place, but basically we prepare everything as they order so nothing is premade.”

The menu has options for all diets including vegetarians, though Samardi recommends the gyros. She and her husband work at the restaurant together and have been doing so for a decade.

“This is a true mom and pop restaurant,” Samardi said. “We are always here every day and we’ve been here since 2007. I really don’t think there’s any other place like that on Mill.”

A post shared by عائشة. (@aishafuen) on

Restaurant Mexico — 423 S Mill Ave. 

Restaurant Mexico, located right on Mill Avenue, serves authentic Mexican food and has been since its start, over four decades ago.

"(The business started) in 1977 when we moved here from the Chicago area," Carolina Chavarrla, the owner, said.

Since then, she said, none of the recipes have changed much. They remained true to the recipes passed down from Chavarrla's mother. 

“The recipes are mostly hers," Chavarrla said. “It’s affordable and family-oriented. A real mom and pop place.”

The restaurant has a wall with pictures that tell the story of the restaurant and all its accomplishments since it started.

“When we moved out here in 1977, most of the food was Americanized. We were the ones that brought in the cilantro and the white cheeses and the tomatillo,” Chavarrla said. “It is more authentic to what is cooked in Mexico and Centro-Mexico.”

That same food has kept their customers coming back for years too.

“We still have patrons that have been here since the beginning.” Chavarrla said. “We have been in the area because our patrons don’t want us to move away.”

That spirit, she said, has kept the business going for nearly 40 years.

Reach the reporter at jaande31@asu.eduor follow @jackieanders327 on Twitter.

×