ASU begins month-long Sustainability Solutions Festival

Previously a week-long festival, the Sustainability Solutions Festival will now go through February

ASU students from the Julie Ann Wrigley Global Institute of Sustainability walk on campus on Oct. 31, 2009. 

ASU’s fourth annual Sustainability Solutions Festival kicked off this February. After growing from a week-long to a month-long event, it's bigger than ever. With a wide variety of events geared toward students of all interests, the month-long celebration is sure to be a hit on every campus.

Through festivities, speeches, film screenings and more, the Sustainability Solutions Festival encourages students to expand their knowledge on the significance of sustainability both in our community and on our planet.

Students on every ASU campus are given the opportunity to network with top sustainability professionals from across the globe in re-imagining a more eco-friendly future.

The many activities involved in the festival this February are designed to capture the attention of every ASU student. Michael Dalrymple, the director of university sustainable practices at ASU, said students of any major have much to gain by participating in the festival events. Dalrymple said he believes the festival is a great way for students to learn about sustainability from professionals in various areas of the field.

"The events are a great way to learn a bit about sustainability on campus from any perspective you find interest in," Dalrymple said.

"It allows for education and an opportunity to meet potential employers and professionals in the field. I learned as much out side the classroom as I did in in my university years. College is about teaching you how to learn and the festival is a great way to see how ASU does that."

One of the main events in the festival is Night of the Open Door, which will be held on each of the ASU campuses and is free to students and the local community. During this event, various departments within ASU are welcoming in people with tours, interactive activities, behind the scene looks at the school and of course, delicious food.

“Night of the Open Door is one of my favorite events because there are so many people out on campus, and it is an easy way to interact with students while learning more about ASU,” said sophomore Shreya Nandy, an ASU biological sciences major and one the festival workers.

This is the second year Nandy has attended the festival, and she looks forward to bringing her friends out to events because she believes that even a small amount of involvement in the festival goes far in expanding the education on sustainability and the impacts it can have.

GreenBiz University, a half-day conference at Memorial Union on Feb.14, is also involved in the festival. The partnership between ASU and the GreenBiz organization will feature a series of speeches from business professionals around the globe.

“GreenBiz University is an incredible opportunity for students of any major because it offers students authentic, high-level business leader information for free,” said Jason Franz, the marketing and communications manager of the ASU Walton Sustainability Solutions Initiative.

The Sustainability Solutions Festival will also feature a variety of other events that are free to ASU students such as film screening, speeches and other celebrations.

There will be three film screenings featured as a part of the month-long festival at the Harkins Valley Art Theater. Students can enjoy informative documentaries and will even be able to hear from some of the film directors at the screening events.

Franz said the festival is important because it showcases sustainability to the masses.

This festival brings together amazing and powerful people, so it is engaging and informing for students, Franz said. “Sustainability is at a forefront right now, if students want to get out and learn about it, this festival is as good as it gets."

Reach the reporter at hollyelysa@asu.edu or follow @hollymiller26 Twitter.

×