ASU outdoes most universities in student innovation and entrepreneurship

ASU's commitment to innovation allows students to pursue their entrepreneurial dreams across a variety of disciplines

Tina Piarowski poses in front of Changemaker Central advertisement at ASU's Tempe, Arizona campus on Monday, Feb. 6, 2017.

The east Valley's broad landscape is home to one of the biggest business sectors in the state: ASU.

Since its establishment in 1885, ASU has striven to make innovation and business entrepreneurship its chief mission. While other schools offer brief entrepreneurship opportunities in their business and engineering programs, ASU takes it one step further by offering courses, competitions, mentors and funding to support their students entrepreneurs across every discipline.

"We offer so many classes, programs and events geared towards students who wish to utilize their innovative and creative minds to make a difference not only at ASU, but on a global scale as well," Martin Siegel, a Ph.D in business and an ASU business professor, said.

After joining ASU in 2002, President Michael Crow vowed to transform ASU into an innovation-fostering hub for student entrepreneurs. His efforts succeeded when ASU was named No. 1 in the U.S. for innovation.

His dream to see ASU transition into an engine of economic growth also led to the creation of SkySong, an innovation and business center in the east Valley which houses ASU's hub for entrepreneurship and innovation.

But innovation is not just limited to the business and economical side of academia. ASU also seeks to tackle some of the world's most challenging healthcare issues. From cancer research to environmental stability projects, ASU has the resources and funding to support students in any type of innovation/entrepreneurship dream across a variety of topics.

ASU's sweeping entrepreneurial programs make the University a magnet for young innovators who want to pursue their inventive dreams.  

ASU Innovation from Flock of Pixels on Vimeo.

From expert advice from experienced mentors, spacious work areas, and academic funding, ASU has everything a potential innovator may need. But that's not all they're encouraged to do.

Students are also encouraged to make a difference through service and use their creatives minds to find innovative solutions to global challenges.

Changemaker central at ASU is a community of like-minded students who strive to make a difference at ASU and the local and global community. Events like the Solutions Summit, where students attend workshops led by leading experts and researchers, address global challenges such as climate change, inequality issues in Phoenix and global poverty.

The club also helps students begin network with other ambitious and like-minded individuals across all 4 campuses.  

From health challenges to economic issues, ASU encourages all types of innovative and out-of-the-box thinking. The immense opportunities offered at the University ensure that students and faculty from any area of expertise have access to plentiful resources that they may need to organize their ideas and expand their creativity and use that to their advantage. 

Reach the columnist at yasmine.mian@asu.edu or follow  @yasminemian on Twitter.

Like  The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×