Senior swimmers anticipate challenge as rivalry meet with Wildcats looms

For the last time, the senior swimmers are getting ready for a duel in the desert with with rival UA

ASU prepares for Wildcats

Sun Devils swim and dive teams prepare for a dual meet against UA on Thursday, Feb. 2, 2017.

The University of Arizona Wildcats' name is barley uttered throughout ASU, but this holds especially true during a rivalry week. The swim and dive team is preparing to face the Wildcats this Saturday with the seniors gearing up for their last dual meet in the desert.  

For graduate student Andrew Porter this rivalry meet signifies a chance for redemption after swimming for the Wildcats two years prior to coming to ASU.

“I found my place here,” Porter said. “I feel proud to be an ASU Sun Devil.”

NCAA transfer rules forced Porter to sit out eight months, allowing him to only train. During that time, he had a chance to get acquainted with his new school, teammates and coaches. Porter said he wasn't disappointed to leave his old school behind.

“If I’m being honest I’m not really too worried about them, they train completely differently than we do,” Porter said. “I’m more focused on the bigger names in the NCCA than I am them.”

Although rivalry isn’t something Porter focuses on, he said this meet is a chance to prove his growth. Porter intends to leave all his emotion in the pool come Saturday.

“I’ve always said from the start that life is too short for rivalry, and I really believe that,” he said.

But senior Barkley Perry said he doesn’t intend to hold back when it comes to the duel with Arizona.

“This one is just special, this one is just different, you find a little bit extra, you find a gear that you never knew was there,” Perry said.

Last year, the ASU men's team made a statement to the Pac-12 in its victory over Arizona. they intend to do the same thing again this year.

“It shows that we are the best in Arizona — the best team and the best group of men and best group of women in Arizona,” Perry said.

Olympic swimmer and senior Anna Olasz said this meet has been on her mind all year and that nothing has distracted her from the rivalry.

“In every way this is the most important dual meet of the year,” Olasz said.

She said even though the women lost last year, ASU had the better swimmers but just lacked depth.

While this rivalry meet is important to the team, the focus will soon shift as they prepare for the Pac-12 Championships.

“My goal, and I think the whole team’s goal, is to be mentally ready and also hungry to beat them and give it our best,” Olasz said.

Reach the reporter at atotri@asu.edu or follow @Anthony_Totri on Twitter.

×