Sun Devil gymnastics continues to grow, despite loss to Stanford

For the third week in a row, the ASU gymnastics team posted a season-best in total points, but the improvement wasn't enough to take down the Cardinal

ASU sophomore Katelyn Lentz performs on the beam in a gymnastics meet against Stanford at the Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Ariz. on Saturday Feb. 18, 2017. Stanford posted a 195.200 - 195.775 victory over ASU.

ASU posted another season-best for the third consecutive week, but that wasn't enough as the Sun Devils (2-7, 0-4 Pac-12) were topped by conference foe Stanford (6-6, 3-2 Pac-12) 195.775 to 195.200 on Saturday.

The Sun Devils were dressed in pink leotards to support breast cancer research during their competition against the Cardinal. The team displayed its progress, posting 9.8 or higher on six different occasions.

It was another night of career-highs for many on the young ASU team. The Sun Devils recorded a season-high 48.950 on bars thanks in part to freshman Morgan Hart, who scored her career-high of 9.825 on uneven bars. 

Another career-high came from senior Beka Conrad who scored a 9.850 on beam to tie for first. 

Junior Nichelle Christopherson, for the first time in her career, won the all-around competition – recording a 38.675. 

Head coach Jay Santos said he was pleased about the overall performance from his team. 

"It's better than last week and we are going in the right direction," Santos said. "We need to to continue to focus on the things that got us to do this and see if we cant keep taking one more step and on more step."

ASU will face off against No. 5 Utah next week and Santos said he will not focus on Utah being the best team in the Pac-12.

"It starts with us hitting routines and going from there. Then the scores and the wins will get taken care of because we are doing our job," Santos said.

ASU will have its last home meet against No. 5 Utah on Saturday, Feb. 25 at Wells Fargo Arena at 5 p.m. MST. 

Reach the reporter at jaramo12@asu.edu or follow @hor_hay10 on Twitter.

×