ASU baseball pounds New Mexico State 12-5

The Sun Devils came back from a 1-0 deficit in the fourth inning to move to 5-3 on the season

ASU junior outfielder Ryan Lillard (5) dives back to first base on a pickoff attempt during a baseball game versus the New Mexico State Aggies at Phoenix Municipal Stadium in Phoenix, Arizona on Tuesday, Feb. 28, 2017. ASU won 12-5.

Putting 12 runs on the scoreboard is a recipe for success in baseball, and ASU successfully followed that recipe on Tuesday night.

The Sun Devil (5-3) bats combined for 15 hits in a 12-5 drubbing of the New Mexico State Aggies (6-4) with all nine ASU batters reaching base and scoring a run.

Second baseman Andrew Snow led the way, going 4-for-4 with three RBIs, while freshman catcher Lyle Lin and senior catcher Zach Cerbo each had three hits and two RBIs.

Despite the winning result, ASU found itself in a 1-0 deficit in the fourth inning.

Cerbo quickly changed the deficit with a two-run RBI single which opened a four-run inning for the Sun Devils.

"I was really just looking for a fastball first pitch, something I could hit back up the middle," Cerbo said. "Didn't get a great piece on it, but it found a hole and worked out."

Snow followed with a two-run RBI double, and from there the Sun Devils cruised their way to 12 runs with the help of three poorly-timed errors from NMSU.

A lack of command from sophomore pitcher Zach Dixon contributed to ASU's early deficit. He walked five batters in the 1.2 innings pitched. After walking two in the first, Dixon continued to struggle in the second, allowing one hit and three walks, which resulted in the Aggies scoring in a bases loaded walk.

Head coach Tracy Smith had no interest in seeing his performance go on.

"He struggled throwing strikes, even this past weekend against TCU, we felt like way too many free passes and it continued today," Smith said. "That stuff has to turn around. I mean he's done it before, I wish I had an answer for you. I know he's disappointed with it."

Lost in the mix was sophomore relief pitcher Fitz Stadler who pitched for 3.2 innings, giving up two earned runs and allowing just one hit.

"As long as he throws strikes we think he has a pretty good chance," Smith said. "He was going to get significant innings for us tonight."

Stadler just wanted to help the team win.

"Whatever role I need to fill, I mean that's what I'll do." Stadler said. "Whatever makes us win ball games and gets us to (the College World Series) Omaha."

The Sun Devils will stay at Phoenix Municipal Stadium for their next game against Loyola Marymount on Friday at 6:30 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at mpharri7@asu.edu or follow @Harris_Mark7 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×