ASU Pro Day: Gonzalez, White, Hayes impress

NFL scouts congregate in Tempe for ASU football's Pro Day

ASU Sun Devils place kicker Zane Gonzalez (5) Kicks his 89th feildgoal NCAA record for career field goals at the ASU Vs. UCLA footbal game on Oct. 8, 2016.

Even after an underwhelming 5-7 season, scouts from 28 NFL teams made their way to Tempe to watch ASU's Pro Day, where graduating seniors and former players participated in drills with the goal of improving their stock for the upcoming 2017 NFL Draft.

Even Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis made an appearance.

The event was in the Lawrence Center at the Carson Student-Athlete Center, where the players were measured and completed lifts and jumps.

Next, the event shifted to the Verne Dickey Dome at the Kajikawa Practice Fields, where participants did 40-yard dashes, cone drills, and other activities specific to their positions.

The day received a significant amount of NFL attention, especially considering the only Sun Devil invited to the NFL Combine was kicker Zane Gonzalez

Gonzalez performed well in his kickoff and field goal drills –— he also has a private meeting with the Bengals. 

But ASU participants didn't need an NFL Combine invite to set themselves apart. Graduating seniors wide receiver Tim White and cornerback De'Chavon 'Gump' Hayes had great pro days, specifically in the vertical jump and 40-yard dash.

Hayes jumped a 36-inch vertical in that video, but he didn't stop there. 

He blazed through the 40-yard dash, running unofficial times of 4.32 and 4.37 seconds, both of which easily would have ranked in the top 10 times at the 2017 Combine.

Much like Hayes, Tim White impressed in the 40-yard dash and the vertical jump. White is currently on the ASU track and field team, where he mainly competes in the triple jump, an event he finished second best in the Pac-12.

White had some of the best 40-yard dash times, running unofficial times of 4.51 and 4.49 seconds.

Some of the other top performers were tight end Kody Kohl with 22 bench press reps of 225 pounds and safety Laiu Moeakiola with unofficial 40 times of 4.33 and 4.52.

While Gonzalez was already likely to be drafted, some of the good performances from former ASU players at Pro Day may help them get their name called at the draft.

Reach the reporter at mpharri7@asu.edu or follow @Harris_Mark7 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×