ASU softball's last-inning rally haulted in loss to No. 22 Baylor

The Sun Devils suffered their second loss in three games at the Judi Garman Classic

Freshman pitcher Alyssa Loza (23) pitches the ball in a game against Purdue at Alberta B. Farrington Softball Stadium in Tempe, Arizona, on Friday, Feb. 10, 2017. The Sun Devils won the game, 3-0.

Despite a late-game rally, ASU softball (15-3) wasn't able to complete a comeback victory on the second day of the 2017 Judi Garman Classic, losing 4-2 to the Baylor Bears.

It was the second loss in three tries for the Sun Devils thus far in the competition.

ASU junior pitcher Breanna Macha (4-3, 1.67 ERA) started her second straight game for the Sun Devils. But things didn't go far planed early as Macha allowed three run to cross the plate in the first two innings of the contest, including a bomb over the left field wall from Baylor junior infielder Shelby Friudenberg.

Baylor would then tack on another run in the fourth inning, extending its lead to 4-0 going into the fifth.

Baylor sophomore pitcher Gia Rodoni lasted five-and-a-third innings for the Bears, only allowing a pair of hits to keep her undefeated season alive at 5-0.

The Sun Devils got some action on the bases in the seventh inning, beginning with a four-pitch walk to junior third baseman Brynley Steele, who would then advance to second on a passed ball.

ASU back on the board with back-to-back RBI-sigles, which initiated a pitching change for the Bears.

But senior righty Kelsee Selman, who had just one save on the season, entered the game and secured the win.

With runners on the corners and just one out, freshman outfielder Brianna Wise stepped into the batter’s box looking to break the tie or put the the Sun Devils on top.

Instead, she hit a sacrifice fly to right field, pulling ASU within two.

Sophomore outfielder Skylar McCarty would then come to the plate and ground out to shortstop, securing the win for Baylor.

The Sun Devils look to bounce back and finish the tournament off strong in their doubleheader on Saturday. They will face South Carolina at 3 p.m. MST, followed by Iowa at 5:30 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at leon.annaliese13@gmail.com or follow @lieseleon on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×