ASU men's swim and dive puts historic Pac-12 Championships behind to train for national stage

The Sun Devils shattered school records during the conference championships but now set their sights on the NCAA Championships

The ASU swim team starts a relay race on Friday, Jan. 20, 2017.

The Pac-12 Championships for the ASU men’s swimming and diving team concluded with an unexpected performance, after it broke a school record on each day of competition. Now the team's focus has shifted to next week’s NCAA Championships in Indianapolis, Indiana. 

Several members of the men’s squad swam strong enough to qualify for the most strenuous collegiate events. Freshman standout and Pac-12 Swimmer of the meet Cameron Craig will swim the 200-yard freestyle, which he had never competed in prior to this season. 

“I was little hesitant, but I went with it, and it ended up working out quite well,” Craig said.

In the Pac-12 Championships Craig took first in the event with a time of 1:31.71.

The 200-yard freestyle has become Craig’s favorite short course event and said he is looking forward to competing on collegiate swimming’s grandest stage.

On top of the 200-yard freestyle Craig will get the opportunity to swim the 200-yard individual medley, the 100-yard freestyle and all four of the team’s relays.

However, Craig will not be the only Sun Devil swimming the maximum number of events.

Graduate student and UA transfer Andrew Porter will also be participating in three individual events and all the relays.

This will not be Porter's first championship season, since he swam his sophomore season at UA where they placed third at the NCAA Championships.

“I think being able to bring that experience to NCAAs is what’s going to help me the most,” Porter said.

This is the final chance Porter has to help ASU bring home a national championship, since he is no longer eligible to compete after this season.

“I’m just trying to enjoy the unfortunately forced end to my swimming career,” Porter said. “Trying to put an exclamation point on this thing I call swimming.”

The Sun Devils are a year removed from scoring less than ten points at the NCAA Championships, this year Porter expects the team to put up well over 100.

“Knowing that it’s your last run at it, I think makes you appreciate it more,” Porter said. “It’s a strange feeling but I really felt it at Pacs.”

Senior Richard Bohus has also had to swallow the truth that this is his final NCAA Championship.

Although this is Bohus’ final season, the NCAA Championships will conclude one of his first healthy seasons after undergoing surgeries the last two years.

“They weren’t seasons, I had months, a couple months of swimming basically,” Bohus said.

Injuries robbed Bohus of several competitions, but over time he said he gained a new sense of determination.

“After that I was just on fire, everyone told me that OK you’re done,'” Bohus said.

His doctor was one of the many who told him to call it quits, but Bohus said he was determined to be successful and make it. Now Bohus is just a week away from the NCAA Championships and only months removed from competing in the Rio Olympics.

“Her face was just priceless, she didn’t expect that,” Bohus said.

The season is far from being complete as races for the NCAA Championships begin on March 22 and conclude on March 25.

Reach the reporter at atotri@asu.edu or follow @Anthony_Totri on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×