ASU women's water polo junior awarded MPSF Player of the Week

After two difficult seasons, Mihailovic finally feels like she's found her place in the water

ASU Women's Water Polo_apr 4_Burnton_6
Freshman Attacker Lena Mihailovic attempts to steal the ball from UCLA In ASU's Woman's Water Polo game against UCLA. The game ended in a score of 11-5, UCLA at the Mona Plummer Aquatic Complex in Tempe, Ariz. on Saturday. (Photo by Gretchen Burnton)

Junior attacker Lena Mihailovic was recently awarded the MPSF Player of the Week after her accomplishments at the Michigan Invitational, where she scored a team-high seven goals in four games.

This season has undoubtedly been Mihailovic’s most successful of her career, and while she’s always had talent, it wasn’t until this season that she gained the confidence she needed to set her apart.

“Freshman year I came a week before the season started so it was really difficult for me because water polo is so different over here,” Mihailovic said. “I had to learn all these new tactics so I was really struggling my freshman year.”

In her freshman season, Mihailovic scored an impressive 27 goals with 19 assists, but knew she could improve.

During her sophomore year, Mihailovic said she felt more confident in the water, and improved immensely. She recorded 28 goals with a stunning 35 steals, but knew she could do more.

This year, Mihailovic said she know’s what's expected of her.

“This season for me has been the biggest improvement I’ve made in the last three years,” Mihailovic said. “I think coach Clapper had a lot of patience with me and that helped a lot.”

Mihailovic said that head coach Todd Clapper helped her grow as a player both physically and mentally.

“Whenever I had a question, he was always able to go and watch video or help me,” Mihailovic said.

Mihailovic’s confidence has risen as well knowing that she’s one of the veterans on the team.

“Being one of the older players on the team, it’s helped me step up more,” Mihailovic said.

Mihailovic’s veteran presence has impacted other players as well. Redshirt freshman Catherine Simko said that she was nervous coming into the program because of how much talent was on the roster, but players like Mihailovic have only helped her game.

“More than anything it pushes me to be a better player,” Simko said. “Playing with her is like a dream come true.”

Clapper has also seen the improvements Mihailovic has made over her career, but noted that her passion for working hard and growing has always been there.

“She's one of those players that’s always seen herself in a primary role,” Clapper said. “I think now this year she’s really gone for that.”

Clapper said that Mihailovic is now making the right decisions and taking the right shots.

“She wants the ball in her hand and she’s confident with the ball in her hand,” Clapper said. “Which used to be hit or miss with her in her first couple years.”

Mihailovic has put up an incredible 40 goal season thus far in one of ASU’s most difficult schedules. Her 40th goal of the season came last weekend against the No. 4 Cal Bears. Mihailovic added a point in the first half of that match, which helped lead the Sun Devils to a 7-6 upset over the Bears.

As the Sun Devil’s continue to battle through their final regular season games, Mihailovic is one of the keys to ASU reaching the NCAA tournament. As she surpasses her total goals from each of her first two years, Clapper has pride in Mihailovic’s success.

“It’s great to see her get the recognition because she’s becoming the player that everyone needs to scout now,” Clapper said. “She’s the player that we want having the ball at the end of a possession.”

Mihailovic and the Sun Devils hope to continue their success this Saturday in Los Angeles where they will face the No. 1 USC. The game will begin at 12:30 MST and will be viewable on the Pac-12 Networks.

Reach the reporter at klbroder@asu.edu or follow @KellyB1459 on Twitter.

×