Senior men's golf captain: "I'm a Sun Devil for life"

Jared du Toit reflects on his career as he prepares to take the next big step in his life

ASU senior Jared Du Toit putts on the 18th hole during the third round of the 2017 ASU Thunderbird Invitational at Karsten Golf Course in Tempe, Arizona on Sunday, March 19, 2017.

He’s only been in the maroon and gold for two years, but senior Jared du Toit’s impact on Sun Devil golf could last for years to come. 

The Canada-native grew up playing hockey during the winter just like other Canadian kids.

“Funny or not, I played hockey in the winter and a lot of golf in the summer,” du Toit said. “I actually grew up as most Canadian kids do wanting to play hockey as a pro, and as I got older, I saw that wasn’t really going to work out and took a liking to golf.”

In the beginning, though, du Toit was not certain about where playing golf on the collegiate stage would take him. 

“At first, I honestly thought it was going to be kind of a hobby,” du Toit said. “I just got the itch the more and more I played and … definitely got my sights set on pro golf down the road.”

After his sophomore season, du Toit transferred from the University of Idaho to ASU and was named captain by ASU men’s golf head coach Matt Thurmond.

“I don’t have a captain every year,” Thurmond said. “A captain is earned by somebody who basically I can tell everyone else on the team ‘Be like him. Whatever he does, look at him and follow him.’ and Jared is that person.”

Du Toit just participated in the Thunderbird Invitational, ASU’s annual home tournament for men’s golf. The Sun Devils took first place as a team, finishing 41-under par. Du Toit was fifth overall in the individual standings, completing competition at 9-under. 

The meet was also the final time du Toit would play competitive golf for the Sun Devils at home.

“I think it’s always bittersweet,” du Toit said. “You talk to all the alumni and they say, ‘It might bite you right now but you’re going to miss it in a couple of years,’ and I’m really starting to feel that.” 

Last month was a particularly strong one for du Toit, as the senior captain took first place overall in The Prestige at PGA West and tied for first in the Amer Ari Intercollegiate.

“Jared is one of the best learners I’ve ever been around,” Thurmond said. “Everyone says get better every day. Jared literally gets better every day.”

Thurmond said each day, du Toit builds off of what he learned the previous day and so on. 

“If you look at his career, it’s just this constant trajectory of growth,” Thurmond said. 

One of du Toit’s closest friends on the team is fellow senior Nicolo Galletti. Galletti has been on the ASU roster all four years and played alongside a famous face to Sun Devil golf fans, Jon Rahm. 

“He’s following the footsteps of (Rahm) I’d say,” Galletti said. “He’s been playing great and it’s been awesome to see. I’m happy for him. He really deserves it.” 

Galletti said the reality has started to set in that the end of collegiate life is near. 

“It went by so fast,” Galletti said. “It’s definitely a reality check. Now it’s the real world after this. It’s been a good run.”

While du Toit’s days at ASU are numbered, he said the men’s golf program is in good hands moving forward. 

“Obviously, coach Thurmond is very hungry to get the best guys and make a run at a national championship,” du Toit said. “If I’m ever in the position to help out, I will as much as I can.”

For Thurmond, he said the feeling of du Toit’s impending departure from the University and the men’s golf team has not set in yet.

“It’s such a new start for me,” Thurmond said. “I feel like I just got here.” 

Du Toit’s time at ASU is beginning to dwindle, but as the senior captain continues his last stint in the Arizona desert, he does not plan on forgetting his collegiate years any time soon.

“I’m a Sun Devil for life,” du Toit said.

Reach the reporter at michael.baron@asu.edu or follow @Michael_Baron96 on Twitter.

×