Young-adult trauma-awareness film to be shown at ASU

The Paper Tigers documentary will be screening for free and will have an interactive panel at the end

The audience watches a screening of Paper Tigers at a theater in Tempe, Arizona in 2016.

In hopes to begin the conversation on trauma and how it affects the daily lives of children and young-adults, "Paper Tigers" will be screening free of charge at the TempeDowntown and Polytechnic campuses.

"Paper Tigers" is a film about the success of a high school's unique approach to disciplining their students by trying to understand the reason behind their behavior.

Sanghoon Yoo is the coordinator of the event and pastor at The Faithful City, a Christian club at ASU. For about a year he helped create and promote the event. 

Yoo said that ASU is one of few colleges that is showing the movie in Arizona. Many other school districts and colleges have shown it nationally. 

"I wanted to expand the opportunity to many as possible," he said. Yoo said he hopes that people will understand the issue of trauma more. 

"Some people can think about their own life experience and also people will be motivated to participate in the movement," Yoo said. 

Paper Tigers Trailer - KPJR Films from KPJR FILMS LLC on Vimeo.

The next screening is Thursday at the Downtown campus. The film was shown on Wednesday at the West campus.

The panelists are all associated with mental health related fields. The ASU Pat Tillman Center, an elementary school district and ASU professors will be in attendance. 

Judy Krysik is a professor at the School of Social Work and a panelist for the event. She believes that it is an opportunity to see how the issue relates to college. 

"I don't think we really thought about what it looks like on a university campus," Krysik said. "My hope is to really kickstart the conversation." 

The issue is relevant to young children as well; the Washington Elementary School District Administrator of Social Services Dorothy Watkins will be speaking.

Watkins said that the film has real-life examples of how trauma impacts a student's life and how the staff needs to be aware of the issue in order to assist the student as much as possible.

"You need to definitely go in knowing that there is going to be some uncomfortableness," she said. 

Watkins believes that ASU's commitment to spread awareness is key. The movie is another way ASU has become involved with the mental health movement. 

"It needs to be out there that there are resources that provide support," Watkins said. 

The Downtown screening will be Thursday at ASU Downtown Collaboratory on Central Avenue. The Polytechnic screening will be Monday, April 24, at PRLTA. The Tempe screening will be on Tuesday, April 25, at the Memorial Union. The West screening was held on Wednesday. Refreshments will be provided.

Reach the reporter at kbenalli@asu.edu or follow @kallebenallie on Twitter

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter 

×