Grand Central Coffee Company celebrates 24/7 opening by offering a variety of specials

The opening will feature specials off of the menu and live music at the downtown student hangout

People gather atop the second floor of Grand Central Coffee Company on March 16, 2017. 

Many students spend their days out of class going from cafe to cafe, trying to get through piles of homework. However, when those study days turn into long study nights, the number of places to work becomes very limited.

Now, thanks to Grand Central Coffee Company, students will have a place to study no matter the time of day. 

On April 7, Grand Central Coffee will be having a variety of specials throughout the day to celebrate the beginning of being open 24 hours every day of the week.

Jonathan Vallo, the general manager, said being open 24 hours has always been a plan for the cafe and bar because Downtown does not have another place that is open as late and serves quality coffee.

“Our game plan from the start was to be 365 (days), for 24 hours a day,” said Vallo.

The specials will include: free coffee, happy hour, five dollar hamburgers, Cronuts and discounted baked goods. 

There will also be live music throughout the day by local performers, Johnny Rios, JAM NOW, Bella Canzano and Vintage Wednesday.

Sam Greaves, a barista at Grand Central Coffee, said he does not know what the foot traffic will be like late at night on weekdays, but he believes being open later will be great for the weekend.

“It will be really exciting if it works out,” said Greaves.

Vallo also mentioned that a speakeasy and general store will soon be arriving to Grand Central Coffee in a few weeks. The speakeasy will have its own room and people who rent it out will have their own doorman and bartender. The general store will include gelato, overnight oats and a variety of different healthy to-go meals.

“It is not easy to find healthy food at three in the morning,” said Vallo.

Nursing freshman Sarah McCall said she believes having a place nearby that is open all day is helpful for students because it gives them more study place options during late at night.

“If you are not in the dorms, there is Cronkite," McCall said. "But there is really nowhere else to go, so I think it’s a good idea."

She added that the venue is a unique place for students to study.

“It has a warm atmosphere," McCall said. "There (are) big comfy couches that you just want to plop onto and do homework all night."

Reach the reporter at editomass@asu.edu or follow @emily_ditomasso on Twitter.

Like State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×