Shop local: Arizona brands ASU students can support

From clothes to skin care, many Arizona-based small businesses reach a diverse audience by selling their wares at local events

View More: http://agnesartphoto.pass.us/lua

Lori Fenn poses with products for her Phoenix-based brand LUA Skincare, which prides itself on natural and healthy beauty products.

ASU students have a lot of options for shopping local, from coffee to produce.

Fortunately, many local vendors make it easy to buy items such as skincare, accessories and clothing with frequent marketplace events.

In addition to convenience, shopping from small businesses improves the local economy and helps customers create connections with the people behind the products.

First Fridays at Desoto Central Market and the Phoenix Public Market are two examples of places within walking distance of the downtown campus where students can check out local vendors on a monthly or weekly basis.

In addition, Phoenix Flea hosts a market in the spring and fall at Heritage Square in Downtown Phoenix (March 4 was this spring’s market) and also has pop-up events throughout the year.

Pineapple Triangle is an upcoming vendor market on June 10 at The Duce in Phoenix where many local brands will be present. 

Here are three small businesses who are familiar with bringing their wares to local vendor events. Products are also available online.

Madalyn Nault Accessories

The colorful clutches of Madalyn Nault Accessories are a fashionable way to carry your keys, phone, money and ID.

“Every single piece that I make is completely unique,” Nault said. “If it looks the same on the outside, I’ve done something to make it unique on the inside.”

Madalyn Nault Accessories are also guilt-free for eco-concious consumers.

“I’ve become known as being a vegan-friendly brand,” she said. “A majority of what I use is vinyl, so it’s animal friendly.”

College students on a budget may also be drawn to her accessories.

“I try to keep my prices affordable, so you’re getting something unique and special, but it’s also worth it,” Nault said.

Nault said a lot of her sales come via her Instagram. She will be selling her creations at Pineapple Triangle this June.

Bringing all the wallets to @phxflea Saturday! Here's a few of my faves! #madalynnaultaccessories #cactuslover #azlove #phx

A post shared by Madalyn Nault Accessories (@madalynnault) on

LUA Skincare

Lori Fenn is a local skincare developer and artist who brings her creativity to her business.

“The thing that people have told me that makes mine stand out is the packaging,” Fenn said of her skincare line, LUA Skincare. “I wanted it to stand out with color and make it more modern and appealing.”

Fenn, who has also been doing art for years, said her favorite product from the beauty line is the Age Less Restorative Face Oil

“There’s a rise in natural skincare and natural beauty products, which is great because there’s so many chemicals in the stuff that we use,” she said.

Fenn set up shop at this year’s Phoenix Flea and also recently sold her products at Phoenix Public Market, experiences she said she loves because of how events like this bring the community together.

“I love the markets," Fenn said. "They’re so much fun. I think Phoenix needs something like that because we’re kind of disconnected."

Fenn said she has found everyone in the local Phoenix business community to be supportive and willing to exchange advice and information.

Fenn said the majority of her sales come from her Etsy page, but that she hopes to get her products into larger retailers next year as well.

Keep It Wild

As the name would imply, Keep It Wild is a Flagstaff-based brand that sells apparel aiming to benefit the environment.

“Our whole mission is to help keep our places clean,” said Cameron Jarman, who runs the brand with his wife Casi. “Selling products is cool, and seeing them around is cool, but in reality, the main focus is for people to find a good, fun outlet to do something good in our community.”

Keep It Wild has already seen some student fans.

“We have a couple friends that go to ASU and they keep seeing our stickers and shirts,” Jarman said.

Keep It Wild’s online store opened last October. Jarman said the most popular item is the forest green t-shirt with the Arizona Hikers Guide logo, which the Jarmans also run. The tank-tops and stickers are also big sellers.

Ten percent of all proceeds go toward wilderness clean ups around the country. Keep It Wild recently sent out 500 cleanup kits to 36 states around the country, Jarman said.

“Within three hours, they were all gone,” he said of the kits.

All proceeds from the Keep Earth Wild sticker will be donated to Leave No Trace until this Saturday.

Reach the reporter at lallnatt@asu.edu or follow @LibbyAllnattASU on Twitter.

×