Phoenix Art Museum to host events aimed at college students

The art museum is opening its doors to college students with events featuring free admission and one-night-only exhibits

Students gather at an activity table outside the Phoenix Art Museum on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 and create art as part of the museums first-ever College Night.

The Phoenix Art Museum has begun a series of events aimed at the college students in the downtown Phoenix area. The Phoenix Art Museum hopes to bring in a younger generation, and has started planning new museum events specifically aimed at college students featuring art and activities as well as local artists.

Kicking off this series of events was College Night. This event was aimed at higher education students and was held March 29 at the Phoenix Art Museum. The event featured food trucks, DJ booths inside and outside the museum, a photo booth and various art-making opportunities.

Admission was free to students, who were encouraged to spend the money they saved on discounted tickets to exhibits hosted by the museum such as Samurai: Armor from the Ann and Gabriel Barbier-Mueller Collection.

One of the artists featured at the event, Molly Koehn, said these new college-focused events are a good way to get more students involved in the arts.

“I think going to museums is valuable," she said. "They connect us with culture and knowledge.”

Another featured local artist was ASU professor Turner Davis who hosted a Sumi-e ink painting session at the event that was inspired by the Samurai: Armor from the Ann and Gabriel Barbier-Mueller Collection featured during the night. 

Davis said the event was a good way for the museum to connect with a college audience. 

“I'm very excited to work with college students and help the Phoenix Art Museum in its continuing effort to reach out to new and diverse audiences,” he said.

Kaela Hoskings, the Phoenix Art Museum's Gerry Grout Education Director, said the museum is hoping to be more inclusive to the community of college students living in Phoenix.

“We have so many events for families and kids," she said. "We want to provide something for our large population of college and university students to enjoy.”

She encouraged students to get involved with future events.

“There’s something for everyone, whether you want to do something solo or get more involved," she said. "We want to inspire students to get draw inspiration from art and get out from behind the books.”

The museum is continuing to plan future events throughout 2017. For more information on the museum and future events visit: http://www.phxart.org/visit/hours_admission_location

Reach the reporter at acjuare1@asu.edu or @AlexisCJuarez on Twitter. 

×