ASU football's Zane Gonzalez drafted in the seventh round by the Cleveland Browns

ASU kicker Zane Gonzalez was drafted 224th overall by the Cleveland Browns

ASU Sun Devils place kicker Zane Gonzalez (5) Kicks his 89th feildgoal NCAA record for career field goals at the ASU Vs. UCLA footbal game on Oct. 8, 2016.

ASU kicker Zane Gonzalez was selected by the Cleveland Browns with the 224th overall pick in the seventh round of the 2017 NFL Draft. He is the first Sun Devil selected by a team in the draft this year.

Gonzalez was an excellent kicker for ASU. In 2016, he was successful on 23 of his 25 attempts, including an amazing 7-9 mark from 50 yards and beyond. 

Subsequently, Gonzalez was named a first-team All-American and All-Pac-12. Even better, he took home the 2016 Lou Groza Award, which celebrates college football's best kicker.

Not only that, he ended his playing time in Tempe holding the Football Bowl Subdivision record for career field goals made with 96, and finishing with an 83 percent career field goal mark. 

And while kickers aren't mainstays in the NFL Draft, it's no surprise Gonzalez was picked. His NFL.com draft profile describes him as the following:

"Self-made, four-year starter who has steadily increased his kickoff distance and range as a field goal kicker. As the most prolific field goal kicker in FBS history, Gonzalez has a good chance of being drafted and becoming an instant starter."

Reach the reporter at mpharri7@asu.edu or follow @Harris_Mark7 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×