ASU women's golf prepares for its only home meet of season

The Sun Devils are set to host the annual PING/ASU Invitational in Tempe April 7-9

Monica Vaughn tees-off on the fifth hole on Friday, April 8, 2016, during the 2016 Ping ASU Invitational at Karsten Golf Course in Tempe, Arizona.

Expect the home field, or course as we should say, advantage to be on full display this weekend as the ASU women’s golf team hosts its annual PING/ASU Tournament — ASU’s only home tournament of the season.

The tournament will be held April 7-9 at the Karsten Golf Course in Tempe.

“I think we’re all excited,” senior Monica Vaughn said. “I think we’ve had a really good season and a lot of people know that, so I think we’ll have a good crowd out there watching and supporting us.”

ASU women’s golf is currently ranked No. 2 in the nation according to Golfweek, right behind the University of Alabama Crimson Tide. ASU has been dominant as of late, as the Sun Devils have not finished lower than third place as a team in the 2017 calendar year.

“I think sometimes we don’t believe ourselves, we don’t believe that we actually are ranked No. 2,” sophomore Linnea Strom said. “I think it’s good that we remind ourselves how good we are as a team, and we have worked so hard for this and so can we use it as motivation to keep working hard, because that’s what we need to do if we want to stay on top.”

ASU will golf alongside 13 other teams this weekend, including in-state rival Arizona, ranked No. 13 by Golfweek.

However, for Vaughn, this will be her last time playing in a home tournament at ASU. 

"Definitely bittersweet, (a) little nostalgic," Vaughn said. "I'm ready to go out there and give it a good run and have a good finish and just enjoy myself and my last time playing at ASU."

That old, familiar feeling

Karsten Golf Course is ASU’s home course in Tempe, at least for the time being. The Sun Devils have practiced this course multiple times throughout the year.

Read more: Future home to ASU golf prepares for massive makeover

“I think we just have so much experience,” Vaughn said. “We play out here all the time. It’s our home, it’s our supporters so we’re going to go out there and give it our best.”

The par on Karsten Golf Course is 72.

“We know the course so well so we should kind of avoid the easy mistakes that maybe some other teams that haven’t played the course might do,” Strom said. “Not really play on the safe side, but avoid the mistakes that can cost a lot of shots.”

According to ASU women’s golf head coach Missy Farr-Kaye, if the Sun Devils stay in the moment and focus on what they can control, ASU can earn the win this weekend on the home course.

Last year, ASU finished second to the UCLA Bruins at the PING/ASU Invitational in Tempe. This year, the Sun Devils look to redeem themselves in front of the Maroon and Gold faithful before attention turns to the Pac-12 Championships in Tucson.

Reach the reporter at michael.baron@asu.edu or follow @Michael_Baron96 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter

×